arboriculture- what is it?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

argh theres some really good posts in this thread:thumbup1:

I dont need reasurance, there is a demon ego in me I keep caged, he is a narcasistic and very arrogant beast:lol: I dont like him much, but he is awfully good at what he does and by jesus he is strong! I am just afraid to release him and set him free, and what I might become if I was to succeed.:blushing:

repressed anger

something/someone hurt you once

go on

SCREAM

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so arbiculture has to be a relatively new word, to understand the meaning you have to know the history.

Around 100 years ago did we have tree surgeons? Maybe but not to the extent we have today, when villages were smaller and roads non existent, did we have a huge need for trees to be cut down? Or even "maintained" as there was no reason?

I have not a lot of knowledge on this but I feel to know what something means you have to know how it was started, the need for timber for fuel was huge "industrial revolution" so trees were simply cut down and burnt, any type any size.

So when was the arborist born and who decided what they can do?

Did the need for us come because houses were built near trees or trees planted near houses?

Arboriculture has been around for a long time, and a book entitiled 'Arboriculture - A practical treatise on raising and managing forest trees' was written by John Grigor in 1868. At this time arboriculture included forestry also. The English Arboricultural Society was founded in 1882 and it wasn't until 1931 that the name changed to the Royal English Forestry Society (The RFS!)

As mentioned above, arboriculture was in practice over 100 years ago, although maybe not quite by the standards we know today, and not following today's industry guidelines (BS 3998:2010 etc). Back 100 years ago people had a huge need for timber, more so than nowadays. Pollarding and coppicing, both forms of arboriculture and regular tree maintenance themselves, go as far back as medieval times.

everyonce in a while somebody gives me a little something special, I just did a google on that book.

this is a very very rare thing to discover... this book is avaliable as a free download PDF as a digitised/scanned read.

enjoy

http://ia600505.us.archive.org/22/items/arboricultureorp00grig/arboricultureorp00grig.pdf

everyonce in a while somebody gives me a little something special, I just did a google on that book.

this is a very very rare thing to discover... this book is avaliable as a free download PDF as a digitised/scanned read.

enjoy

http://ia600505.us.archive.org/22/items/arboricultureorp00grig/arboricultureorp00grig.pdf

Page 249 - even back in those days the bloody larch was giving gip!

enjoy

wikipedia says following

Arboriculture is primarily focused on individual woody plants and trees maintained for permanent landscape and amenity purposes, usually in gardens, parks or other populated settings, by arborists, for the enjoyment, protection, and benefit of human beings. It is therefore related to, but distinct from agriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, forestry, dendrology, and silviculture.

doesn't that say it all

It must include branches of mycology+ P&D

some production- although a lot of trees such as top fruit will be covered by field crop production

all science has increasingly blurred edges

I believe it would also include psychology and pretty obviously surveying