Tractor v mog v Fastrac

stoxs

I'd echo what Ed said. I've had Mogs and tractors and for what you propose I'd look seriousley at a Valtra around 150-200 hp.

Fastracs well early ones anyway had quite a lot of transmission problems which put me off buying one and Fendt are just to damn expensive.

Get a Valtra / Valmet with front and rear linkage, rear steer and a decent forestry crane on a frame behind the cab.

Avoid roof mount as it limits reach more than you'd think.

Matt.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if you are looking to power a mulcher you are better with a tractor, fastracs and Unimogs will not give you the traction that you require and the undersides have alot of pipework etc that is susceptable to damage without major forestry guarding. The Fendt is a good all round unit, maybe not as fast as the mog on the road but well capable of powering all the implements that you mention. The timber crane issue I am not too sure of as I have not come across a Fendt fitted with a crane but 3 point-linkage or demounts systems are available or could be adapted to work with the chipper.

one word of warning!

In my experience trying to make one machine do every job well is difficult, it will always be a compramise. Decide on your main job for the unit and design the kit to suit that work, try not to impede that operation when you add what is needed for the other jobs that you want to undertake, you want a jack of all trades that is a master of at least 1.

Go for MB-Trac:001_cool: tractorversion of Unimog like mine

I would like to stay in Hampshire when turning round!!!!!

they havn`t made them for years have they?

thanks for the replies folks at the moment it is all about coming up with ideas to make it cost effective, bit like an embryo in a test tube.

still interested in makes for the attachments i.e crane, mulcher?

I think i would go for a Spearhead flail , used one for years and strong pieces of kit.

MB Trac is OK but in the woods they bust airlines on the brakes for a passtime. Longleat estate had one with a mounted crane ( 20 years ago).

Arb work would be ok but they are all getting long in the tooth now. ( thats rich comming from the owner of a 1970's county)