One of the many local Parish council fights to close a well used (non abused) byway

Matthew Arnold

I was always taught the countryside code

Leave a gate as you find it.

Sometimes they are supposed to be open.

In fact leave the countryside as you find it within reason

I think the RA does a great job dealing with the 'get off my land' brigade. Though obviously they attract a minority of people who love 'the fight'

I think it's more than make up the RA!:biggrin:

I though it read 'The real RA' - things havent got that bad. have they:confused1:.

I like walking but alot of paths are still obstructed now by 'new country house owners' who buy a house knowing it's got a path running through the grounds and then apply to have it closed or diverted. Plus local farmers who put very lively cattle in footpath field but not other fields to put people off using them - oh yes they do:thumbup1:

The RA coined the 'One Life' phrase before Land Rover, but it never caught on...

One Life. Between all of us.

They really do need to get IN more..... I can't bloody stand them.... Next time I have a spare afternoon I'm going to follow some home, walk round their garden, let their pets out onto the road, drop litter, talk loudly outside their window, be luminous orange, that sort of thing.... just to see if it really is as exciting as they would make out... I'm guessing not...

And while you're at it have a pee up the wall of their house and park your camper van at the end of their drive expecting to stay there a few days...

when said thing happened at one of our clients farms, I very politely asked them if they knew they were parked on private land and was promptly told to f*** off.

'OK, I will' I very calmly replied, 'but Ill be back with the bulldozer...'

Oddly enough they left.

N

And while you're at it have a pee up the wall of their house and park your camper van at the end of their drive expecting to stay there a few days...

when said thing happened at one of our clients farms, I very politely asked them if they knew they were parked on private land and was promptly told to f*** off.

'OK, I will' I very calmly replied, 'but Ill be back with the bulldozer...'

Oddly enough they left.

N

Yrs ago a landowner walked up to a large group of 'alternative caravners' who arrived on his estate, and told them, 'to move - or you are mine' they laughed at him, not understanding what he meant by 'you are mine'. They found out he ordered his men to build a gaint bale inclosure around the caravans. Bit of legal action kicked off but he got away with it by claiming he always built a large bale stack there. The only way they could feed themselves was for their kids to climb the bales to catch food been thrown over by there friends, in the end they pleaded with him to let them out.:thumbup:

Yrs ago a landowner walked up to a large group of 'alternative caravners' who arrived on his estate, and told them, 'to move - or you are mine' they laughed at him, not understanding what he meant by 'you are mine'. They found out he ordered his men to build a gaint bale inclosure around the caravans. Bit of legal action kicked off but he got away with it by claiming he always built a large bale stack there. The only way they could feed themselves was for their kids to climb the bales to catch food been thrown over by there friends, in the end they pleaded with him to let them out.:thumbup:

thats class, next time we have some parked in a gate way i'll go get the loader and some hesstons! we suffer with caravaners regularly park up for the views!

last time we had problems with ramblers we fenced with mains electric fencer an electric fence over / allong side some seeds, i plough up footpaths but always put a path back in and often prune the hedge which the path runs along side teh wood so it keeps them out the middle if the field, never works though.