One of the many local Parish council fights to close a well used (non abused) byway

Matthew Arnold

All too common nowadays since the NERC bill. Not sure about tarring all ramblers with the same brush but I tend to nowadays.

Not content with 95,000 miles of footpaths they want vehicles banned from Byways etc. Oh...and the right to roam, the rights to all coastline plus anything else they think they have a right to.

We've had them stand and block legal rights of way in The Peaks. Makes you just want to spin the back wheel of the bike up and cover them. In fact I detest them!

this will make you giggle, we have a bridleway right through our farm yard, right pain in arse but mainly just locals use it and are very respectful of it being busy farmyard with large noisy machinery. But our local ramblers group took exception and decided they shouldn't have to put up with walking through the farm yard, i suggested well thats fine we can move it (thinking brilliant chance of lifetime i'll go with this!) but little did i realise they actually meant move the farm yard or stop the farm in it...............:sneaky2: i attended a few meetings and was bewildered at what planet they were on. Real shame because we've always got on well with our local authority rights of way officer when there's been an 'issue', but now drives me up the wall when she rings up and says the ramblers have got an issue with something.....usually because i haven't made a track through an organic wheat crop or rolled a track over some ploughing but they can walk up a mountain with no problems!!!!:lol::sneaky2: gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A strange one this. I like the idea of a group of people championing access rights and protecting rights of way etc. Many of which were probably informally gathered over time. No major objections in the past led to rights being established.

HOWEVER I have had a few dealings with the Ramblers Assoc and found them nowt but bloody minded pains in the rear. How can moving a public footpath 10 yards across a flat field so that a barn can be built to overwinter sheep so that the moorland can benefit from reduced grazing, on ENVIRONMENTAL grounds according to all the powers that be, constitute a problem for access. Apparently it does and cost thousands to sort out, simply because an automatic objection to a right of way being diverted was raised by The Ramblers.....................

Surely this is not why the group evolved?

The RA coined the 'One Life' phrase before Land Rover, but it never caught on...

One Life. Between all of us.

They really do need to get IN more..... I can't bloody stand them.... Next time I have a spare afternoon I'm going to follow some home, walk round their garden, let their pets out onto the road, drop litter, talk loudly outside their window, be luminous orange, that sort of thing.... just to see if it really is as exciting as they would make out... I'm guessing not...

The RA coined the 'One Life' phrase before Land Rover, but it never caught on...

One Life. Between all of us.

They really do need to get IN more..... I can't bloody stand them.... Next time I have a spare afternoon I'm going to follow some home, walk round their garden, let their pets out onto the road, drop litter, talk loudly outside their window, be luminous orange, that sort of thing.... just to see if it really is as exciting as they would make out... I'm guessing not...

And I thought it was just me:thumbup:

Difficult one this. :laugh1:

There are hundreds of miles of unused footpaths that the "ramblers" could use but often seem to use the wide tracks that have been open from the use of various vehicles keeping vegetation back.

There are also numerous places to ride a horse without meeting traffic and therefore having a relaxing time with friends.

I noticed often a large bunch of walking people each arriving in a different vehicle and all blocking the spaces in the rural railway station carpark. :thumbdown:

Should be using public transport as most of them were of the age to have a free bus/train pass instead of driving and blocking the vital roads for people earning an income and keeping the UK running.

Should driving licences be 16 - 70?

The RA and their ilk seem to confuse private property (over which they have a reasonable right of transit) with public lands. We've had them having picnics, feeding the ducks, driving a trap down a bridlepath and all sorts, not to mention the complaints about too much mud. Most are perfectly pleasant but there is a large minority who see footpaths/bridlepaths as public lands and treat them accordingly.

If they could stick some instructions on "How to shut gates" and "How to walk a dog on a lead" in the next edition of Walkers Weekly (or whatever they read) that would be a good start.