Insurance - check your policy

iainarkle

Hi All, its been a while! Any how, I've been having an interesting (yes crxp) time with my insurance for the hilux. I was smashed into on the 19th Dec and since then the truck has been at the bodyshop. I have full comp, commercial insurance for self-employed people with LV. They talk of a courtesy vehicle in the key facts of the policy but do not specify other than on page 30!!!! of the policy documents when it says class 'A' van. Basically a tiny wee thing.

Any way, at the time I was sold the policy, according to LV, I should have been offered like for like cover as this is not part of the policy I have. I assumed it was seeing as it is targeted at s/e folk and specifically for 4x4s. However, LV cannot even offer like for like cover for such a vehicle!

Right, bottom-line check your policy docs for what you will actually be provided with if your vehicle is off the road and if there is also any lose of earnings cover. I have not been able to do a think since the crash because of the need for a suitable vehicle to get me into the woods.

The good news...the truck should be back on the road in a week to tend days time :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Someone crashed onto my dodge in November, I was offered an aigo (sp?) as a courtesy car. After I badgered them into supplying one that is! I then argued more and got the aigo swapped for a hilux. The hilux broke after about 3 weeks and then got replaced with a 59 plate ranger thunder with all extras. Have a word with your body shop they can get you a hire car and charge it back through your insurance company :-)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.373935,0.481493

Someone crashed onto my dodge in November, I was offered an aigo (sp?) as a courtesy car. After I badgered them into supplying one that is! I then argued more and got the aigo swapped for a hilux. The hilux broke after about 3 weeks and then got replaced with a 59 plate ranger thunder with all extras. Have a word with your body shop they can get you a hire car and charge it back through your insurance company :-)

---

I am here: Google Maps

Be very carefull what you do with hire vehicles because the insurance companies are tightning up on these kind of things.

I was hit from the rear by a bus in 2010 and was supplied with a vehicle but now they say (bus company)i should not have received anything and they are refusing to pay.

The bus company took over the claim and i was told not to go through my insurance as they would do everthing but by then my insurance had orginised a vehicle and the bus company aggreed to it.

This week iv just had to hand over all my bank statements etc due to a court order to see if i could have paid for the hire myself if i could i should have hired my own vehicle they say.

Will just have to wait and see what happens but its lucky i have all the correspondents and a good local broker but what a hassle its been.

Small print doesn't just relate to your car. Check your tree work Public liability policies for cover if you don't have CS41 I heard about some lads in London who had a bit of an accident with a tree and a parked car (the car lost) Ok they thinks we are covered ermmm Nope no CS 41 No cover. Same can happen with No LOLER and Ive seen policies that exclude any tree work within 5 meters of a house and no more than 3 meters from the ground. You really do have to read and digest what you are paying for.

Oh one last one that caught me "Interuption of business cover" I'd never heard of it till I got all my kit nicked and had to hire a chipper etc whilst the insurance took three months to settle my losses as I didn't have interuption of business cover I had to pay for the lot.