Selling top handles to non professionals.

Mesterh

In most cases where a CoCs are a requirement it may well be due to the far reaching consequenses that may well arise from operator error to oneself or a third party such as death or serious injury:thumbdown:

We've all seen the youtube clips of idiots trying to do what we do and its quite clear that most of them have had no formal instruction of any type. Training is a way to become both famliar whith equipment and also gain some (all be it small) amount of experiense.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I think we have established that its not a legal requirement to see a CS39 for me to sell a Top Handle, but, like it or not, it is established as the industry norm so that neither the dealer or manufacturer are exposed to litigation from selling unwittingly to an untrained operator.

I have spoken to several fellow dealers today, both large and small who know or think they know, just as I did that an NPTC certificate is required, but none were able to tell me which one, so I am grateful to this forum as I am now wiser.

But I am unsure of a couple of things which you CS holders will doubtless be able to clear up for me.

firstly, do these certificates expire? So do I have to check dates? What do I look for?

Thanks.

Secondly, if they dont expire, is there an earlier version of the CS39 and how do I recognise it?

I have CG Advanced Welding and Fabrication and a ticket that allows me to use a 360 up to 35 tons plus other odds and sods. Doesn't mean I can weld a pipeline up or cut out levels with a machine. I wouldn't trust me to do it:001_smile: Just as I wouldn't trust some of the holders of chainsaw tickets to work for me. Tickets don't mean a thing, They're just a necessity nowadays and don't make anyone a 'professional'.

totally agree, that is another part of my 'argument'.:thumbup1:

Cheers for all the info everyone :thumbup1:

I think its unfair that Stihl and Husky are trying to push 'blame' onto the dealers though.

So, I think we have established that its not a legal requirement to see a CS39 for me to sell a Top Handle, but, like it or not, it is established as the industry norm so that neither the dealer or manufacturer are exposed to litigation from selling unwittingly to an untrained operator.

I have spoken to several fellow dealers today, both large and small who know or think they know, just as I did that an NPTC certificate is required, but none were able to tell me which one, so I am grateful to this forum as I am now wiser.

But I am unsure of a couple of things which you CS holders will doubtless be able to clear up for me.

firstly, do these certificates expire? So do I have to check dates? What do I look for?

Thanks.

Secondly, if they dont expire, is there an earlier version of the CS39 and how do I recognise it?

They dont expire but we are supposed to do refreshers every 5 years(2 or 3 years for non professionals)

I have never done a refresher so im not sure if it will update your NPTC card(i pressume it will)

I only realised recently having read some blurb on the HSE website that Farmers and Woodland owners are exempt from any chainsaw tickets !!! I wonder who has the most accidents with chainsaws??

Had to talk down one of my local farmers recently when I caught him working out of his tractor bucket at full tilt in the air trying to cut of some large branches with his big old farm Stihl saw. He's nearly 70!

I ended up doing the job for him FOC.

Good for you!, one less bad stat for HSE to work into additional regulations.

easy-lift guy

• 2 weeks later...

It seems you folks on the other side of the great Atlantic are blessed with more rules ,regulations and edicts than we in a lot of areas .Portions of Canada as I'm told has recently experianced a like type of government intervention .

So far they haven't tried at least in the area of chainsaws to be nannys to us but given enough time I'm sure they will . Evidently the governmental powers that be must not have better things to do than try to protect the populace from itself .Geeze if this continues you might need a permit to mow your own lawn .The only other option perhaps is get a herd of goats .Which would likely entail a permit of sorts too ,with a fee of course .

....The only other option perhaps is get a herd of goats .Which would likely entail a permit of sorts too ,with a fee of course .

Goats:

Whether you keep one animal as a pet or a commercial flock/herd you need to register your sheep and goats. Before moving livestock to your holding you need to apply for a County Parish Holding (CPH) number for the land where the livestock will be kept from:

Goats:

Whether you keep one animal as a pet or a commercial flock/herd you need to register your sheep and goats. Before moving livestock to your holding you need to apply for a County Parish Holding (CPH) number for the land where the livestock will be kept from:

Good to see your still here! More stories please, made a change from writing my thesis.

Oh my I had no idea .

Around here you of course can't raise livestock within most municipalites save perhaps a rabbit in a cage .Where I'm at in the boon docks I could raise anything from field mice to elephants if I wanted to .

Seems the field mice kind of came on their own but no pacaderms .Don't want any either .They won't mind and I doubt I could make them .Besides that they eat a lot not to mention the fact they expell a lot too .