Tiny Tach Club - saws running high

blazer

Like the growing trend to reduce the risk of posting pictures of your siezed up private parts (Readers saws:blushing:)- well thats what they often look like, I brought a 'Tiny Tach'.

Tried it out on my MS260 + 600rpm H screw fully out on stop? same with a MS 460 and after say 10 tank fulls a new 200t is running at 15K set as

supplied again with H screw fully out on stop.

With a few more to test it appears they are all running a bit lean - so are other guys saws also running too fast, but not aware - running fine but not 4 stroking on max?

On the MS460 I now fitted a twin port exhaust (now a real beast)so I removed the limiters to reset the H screw to 4 stroke on max rpm, so now I need to remove all the limiters to reset the other saws. For guys who have removed limiters - do you put them back on or leave them off for easier adjustment next time.

My Husky 40 had not been tuned in the 15 years since I bought it but it allways run like a good un with a slight whistle and no sign of any 4 stroking.12 months ago I bought my tach and it was maxing at 14,500.Recommended max is 12,500 but I've set it at 13,000. Great copicing saw on 13" bar:thumbup1:

My Husky 40 had not been tuned in the 15 years since I bought it but it allways run like a good un with a slight whistle and no sign of any 4 stroking.12 months ago I bought my tach and it was maxing at 14,500.Recommended max is 12,500 but I've set it at 13,000. Great copicing saw on 13" bar:thumbup1:

Interesting, it would suggest new saws are setup when still tight so will over rev when run in by 1 - 2k.

Checked out most of my Stihl saws and they are all running 1k rpm to high, so had to removed the H restrictor to get the revs down. Will give them a good work-out soon on a few boughs and see how they run. may put new restrictors on but at a higher setting.

I also noticed that all the 020/200T run at 15K at standard carb settings,and most other saws also over by about 1K.

Thats also using a tiny tach, so a possibility they arent that accurate maybe?

I found my MS200T was picking up speed after say x10 tank fulls, so set it back, I had to remove all the H restrictors (using an 3.5mm tap) to get the speed down on the saws. Bit odd as I have heard loadsa MS200T running fast and I assume they were ok.

Need to find a way of checking the calibration of my 'tiny tach':confused1:

May try and used my son's XT660R - when he's not around

I found my MS200T was picking up speed after say x10 tank fulls, so set it back, I had to remove all the H restrictors (using an 3.5mm tap) to get the speed down on the saws. Bit odd as I have heard loadsa MS200T running fast and I assume they were ok.

Need to find a way of checking the calibration of my 'tiny tach':confused1:

May try and used my son's XT660R - when he's not around

How did the new settings by tinytach compare to tuning by ear, i.e tuning to slight 4 stroking.

I usually tune by ear and then check with tach (stihl) and am seldom far out.

I have never seen my saw dealer use a tach, they always tune by ear, never had any problems.

I trust tuning by ear more than the tach, buts thats because I know what to listen for.

Tuning by ear allows you to understand whats happening and warning bells sound when it doesnt make the right noises when you expect, showing there might be problems to address. The tach is OK to double check but should not IMO be used on its own,(what if its inaccurate?) but thats just my opinion.