Husky 550 XP

Float

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got chance to get out on mine properly on Monday - had a bit of a mixture of stuff to do over the day starting with some respacing/brashing in among some small Oak and Birch - nice and light, very responsive and plenty of poke. In the afternoon had some bigger firewood to fell and it properly shone. It was the sort of Stuff I'd have been inclined to take the 357 into (12-15" Birch) and the 550 bossed it very well. Loads of power through the back cuts and it's fantasticly flickable when snedding, even handling bigger forks without any noticable bogging.

Reckon on getting about 55mins to a tankful compared to 45 or so when using a 353/346, so that seems pretty good so far too.

We compared it weight wise to a 242 the other day and there's so little in it by feel - I still think in use the 550 feels like a 242 that's been given more power :thumbup1:

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Finally got chance to get out on mine properly on Monday - had a bit of a mixture of stuff to do over the day starting with some respacing/brashing in among some small Oak and Birch - nice and light, very responsive and plenty of poke. In the afternoon had some bigger firewood to fell and it properly shone. It was the sort of Stuff I'd have been inclined to take the 357 into (12-15" Birch) and the 550 bossed it very well. Loads of power through the back cuts and it's fantasticly flickable when snedding, even handling bigger forks without any noticable bogging.

Reckon on getting about 55mins to a tankful compared to 45 or so when using a 353/346, so that seems pretty good so far too.

We compared it weight wise to a 242 the other day and there's so little in it by feel - I still think in use the 550 feels like a 242 that's been given more power :thumbup1:

I have happy memories about 242s! They were wonderful saws... If the 550xp or 540xp is anything like then yum yum

• 3 weeks later...

So, a couple of weeks further on and so far all's good in 550 land. Had it in some skanky,hairy lodgepole today (you know the sort - even when they hit the ground they're still 4 foot off the ground :lol:) and it made light work of snedding the big, horrible, hairy beasts.

Ordinarily it's the sort of stuff I'd have been using the 372 with a shorter bar in but as the sprocket nose self destructed on that this morning, the 550 got drafted in and really surprised me. Did fell a few of the smaller ones with it too but generally they were 24" give or take and it was quicker to crop them off with the 72 on a bigger bar (which is a donkey to sned with)

Only real gripe I have had with it so far, but seeme to have solved, was how easy it is to flood after re-fuelling. Pretty much it bolied down to not reading the manual properly and trying to start it like a normal husky and giving it choke - all it needs is half revs setting and a couple of pulls and away it goes :blushing:

For how reluctant I was to give modern technology a try, all I can say is I ain't half glad I didn't buy a 346 :laugh1:(just hope the electrics don't prove to be it's downfall)