Diesel Chainsaw on its way

TimberCutterDartmoor

I was merely saying that not all 4-stroke engines are uni-directional like the Honda.

Neither did I claim that Stihl has used - or had any plans to use 4-mix engines on chainsaws. But future emission standards may change that.

Oh, and I would claim that the FS 130R brush cutter is a pro model that uses the 4-mix engine.

So which one of my claims are you opposing?

morton does your quote have anything to do with the subject matter about Diesel Chainsaw's or have I missed something all together:confused1:

easy-lift guy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of the thread is Diesel Chainsaw, but, as normal and quite rightly, the discussion has moved on, this time to engine alternatives to 2T.

I dont wish to argue with anyone, especially Morten, who IMO makes a lot of sense, but I do question the example of the FS130R as I personally would not consider this a full on pro-machine.

However, what is of note I feel, is that the FS310 clearing saw, which was defo a pro machine, and was 4-mix has now been replaced by the FS360 which is now 2-MIX.

Also, a new model mid duty machine, the FS240 has been added to the top of the previous 4-mix range and is now 2-mix.

Is this a sign that the 4-mix was not maybe as good as first thought and will slowly be replaced?

I, for one, hope so.

morton does your quote have anything to do with the subject matter about Diesel Chainsaw's or have I missed something all together:confused1:

easy-lift guy

Is this a sign that the 4-mix was not maybe as good as first thought and will slowly be replaced?

Sorry if I have derailed the thread, but whereas I can see emission controls forcing manufacturers towards 4-stroke engines for chainsaws (even though current 4-stroke small engines have more than their fair share of problems), I simply cannot see that a diesel engine will ever be developed that will have enough power at a low enough weight to ever be usable in a chainsaw.

Correct me if i am wrong, but any diesel engine is bound to be a 4-stroke engine, so you cannot discuss diesel without invariably talking about 4-stroke engines.

[quote name=morten;619641

Correct me if i am wrong' date=' but any diesel engine is bound to be a 4-stroke engine, so you cannot discuss diesel without invariably talking about 4-stroke engines.[/quote]

As per the very first post, developed from aero style 2/s glow plug engine. Sparkless, compression-ignition. Loads of the r/c toys have em...

As per the very first post, developed from aero style 2/s glow plug engine. Sparkless, compression-ignition. Loads of the r/c toys have em...

Are you seriously suggesting that a 2-stroke diesel engine would be viable for a chainsaw? Think about emissions (and carcinogenic particles).

I rest my case!