urgent help with hedges in a conservation area

yourm9

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were "maintaining" a tree by removing parts of it, in a conservation area would you notify?

If it's a tree its a tree. You cant decide what you notify depending how you feel about the works.

Yes you can.

Just think about possible prosecution, are they really going to prosecute for trimming a hedge??:001_rolleyes:

TPO's are Treepreservation orders, Conservation areas can be a mine field so to speak, you should notify someone if you plan to do something most of the time they not bothered what you do but some are fussy, silly things like not walking on the grass or breaking up the ground etc I would always check first it could end up costing you a fortune which in the current climate nobody wants!!

Would you "trim", which by my definition is removing parts of, a tree without notifying?

I don't want to be pedantic. But if you want to call a hedge a tree, you have to play by those rules.

I'm not calling a hedge a tree, but in conservation areas there are rules for hedges and rules for trees. And if you've got a row of stuff, be it laurel, hornbeam or whatever, all in a line and close together it is obviously a hedge, as opposed to a standalone tree or shrub.

Edited by Pedroski

Are they going to prosecute for removing a laurel hedge? :confused1:

They could, because it's a hedge and if it's covered by the rules of the conservation area then those rules need to be followed. As opposed to a standalone shrub which is exempt. Conservation areas really can be a minefield, especially as they often have a lot of busy bodies living in them.

TPO's are Treepreservation orders, Conservation areas can be a mine field so to speak, you should notify someone if you plan to do something most of the time they not bothered what you do but some are fussy, silly things like not walking on the grass or breaking up the ground etc I would always check first it could end up costing you a fortune which in the current climate nobody wants!!

They could, because it's a hedge and if it's covered by the rules of the conservation area then those rules need to be followed. As opposed to a standalone shrub which is exempt. Conservation areas really can be a minefield, especially as they often have a lot of busy bodies living in them.

You are separating TPO's and conservation areas, but as Tony pointed out in an earlier post the councils only way of stopping you from carrying out tree works in a conservation area is to put a TPO on the trees concerned, so there really is no difference.

But even if the tree in the conservation are has no TPO, you are still obliged to apply to the council for permission to carry out work on it, and the council then have 6 weeks to decide whether or not to put a TPO on. In that 6 weeks, while waiting to hear from the council, you can't do anything. So, in a way, conservation area riles are harsher. If NOT in a conservation area, and there is no TPO then you can do what you want.