Stolen kit Huddersfield

Andy Collins

Try telling the tax man that when you get investigated ! 3 years is the maximum i believe now Dave. It's serious poop time if you can't provide those records Dean.

I don't have any worries, all my takings go through the books, I always tell the customer I prefer cheques, that way I can't spend it.

My bank account turns over nicely provided I put all my takings in there, if I get paid cash it gets spent and screws things up.

At the end of the day, I employ an accountant to do my books and keep records, I've been self employed for 22 years without problem, so I'll take my chances.

I have been honest with my book keeping so if the taxman does come along and screw me he is being an arse, so all I will do is screw him the year after.

An eye for an eye an all that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean I'm not trying to insinuate you don't keep you books in order. Tax and VAT inspections are random, the very fact you can't provide records going back 3 years will be the thing that DOES get you into trouble.

I know loads of people that have had random investigations and have been picked up on all manor of silly things.

Dean I'm not trying to insinuate you don't keep you books in order. Tax and VAT inspections are random, the very fact you can't provide records going back 3 years will be the thing that DOES get you into trouble.

I know loads of people that have had random investigations and have been picked up on all manor of silly things.

It is an offence (according to the HMRC) NOT to keep records including receipts for 7 years. They can also go back up to 20 years if they wish, they are the law. If they believe you are hiding something, you have to prove your not, they dont have to prove you are. So far as they are concerned we are guilty until we prove our innocence.

they scared the helll out of me, and I thought I had done nowt wrong :mad1:

As has been said time and time again, log your serial nos down, this info can then be passed on to the police sawshops, and on here. Ok, so the crims may not get caught for this crime right away, but it helps the police to profile and bust them much later on. When I went to the police station to ID some kit, there was soooo much stuff unclaimed cos people had no serial nos to prove it was theirs!! If they file off the serial nos, the police know its stolen too.

Andy's more than right. Make sure you have the serial numbers!!

The police dispose of huge numbers of chainsaws etc each year because the owners cannot be traced. If your equipment is stolen, and its reported to police. Pass them the serial numbers, and they will log them onto the computer. Even if the saws turn up years later, they can be traced to you.

Further to the above, due the large amount of thefts of arb equipment, people might consider SMARTWATER. This is an invisible liquid which can be placed on any equipment permanantly. You only need a small spot and it shows up under ultra violet light. Each smartwater has a unique code, and so is fully traceable back to the purchaser. The police are using this more and more.

I have accounted books going back something like 8 years, but not receipts, I take all the receipts out from between the pages and wazz them (translation for non yorkshire people, wazz = throw away :001_smile: ).

Surely your not expected to keep receipts when you've had a chartered accountant go through them ??

Oh and yes, write serial numbers and take photo's