Speed Awareness Clinic.

PeteB

You should know the speed of the road a sat nav will just give you a warning. I didnt say they were to be totally relied on after all some people have ended up in pond with them, but there again they shouldnt be on the roads in the first place lol

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's a tricky one. I used to drive a large vehicle for a living. I always said that everyone should have to drive a big beast for a month as it's an education in itself. So many blindspots that you are aware of every vehicle coming up behind, to the side etc. from 200 yards or more away. Driving something big gives you the skill to be able to create a 3D map of the road and vehicles in your mind and use it dynamically, all without realising you are doing it. It makes your driving much, much better. You learn to predict how traffic will flow and converge, knowing that you can't stop in an instant like they can.

As for speed, I've never been done but that's pure luck. I'm now the kind of driver who I would have cursed as a 25 year old. I suppose as you get older you just learn what's important in life and getting there quickly usually isn't. If I got done for speeding, I would take it on the chin and not assume I am above such courses. I would go with an open mind and try to learn something I didn't know.

All the accidents marked on that map on the A272 involve dead motorcyclists. Sure some of them were IAM too.

Perhaps that is designed to make idiots think twice?

Most m/c accidents are on single carriage roads on a dry day, usually a Sunday with a single vehicle involved.

Put simply, going into corners to fast. that's where education would help a large percentage of people.

I agree, I drive around 40k a year. Got hit on the A5 doing 72 in a 60mph on a straight road, no side roads, no footpaths, dry day, bright day, 08:30 on a Sunday morning on my way south to help a friend who was suffering from depression. I was in a car, and was probably lucky not to have been caught going faster.

As a IAM motorcycle rider I found the whole experience largely pointless, the instructor was clearly trying to use the statistics to prove his point.

Having said all of this, I would rather sit throw that ***p than take the points.

I think some people need to realise that a speed limit is just that. Not the speed that must be attained.

Drive to the conditions and limits of visibility.

:001_rolleyes:

I've been stopped twice, both times were in a 30. First time I got to do a very short course if I went and did it there and then and it wasn't recorded. Second time was coming from a 60 into a 30 and the camera was on the start of the 30 and picked up points (first time in 12 years).

I was fairly miffed at the time but ultimately was in the wrong and have found that since the points I'm more aware of my speed so can only really take them as a good thing. The frustrating thing was though that they've since changed the limit thhrough there to have a 40mph buffer and I'd have been OK :sneaky2:

bring back national service! that would get a load of 'peanut heads' of the road.....and start instilling some discipline that adresses the 'namby pamby' mway that them powers that be treat young people. everyone in society , including the young people themselves would benefit from this sort of thing.

the high level of 'do gooders' would probably scupper this sort of thing though i guess.

:001_rolleyes:

I've been stopped twice, both times were in a 30. First time I got to do a very short course if I went and did it there and then and it wasn't recorded. Second time was coming from a 60 into a 30 and the camera was on the start of the 30 and picked up points (first time in 12 years).

I was fairly miffed at the time but ultimately was in the wrong and have found that since the points I'm more aware of my speed so can only really take them as a good thing. The frustrating thing was though that they've since changed the limit thhrough there to have a 40mph buffer and I'd have been OK :sneaky2:

Hi Chris, thanks for quoting me.. I am not saying I don't speed, I do. In my own mind on that occasion I believed my speed was appropriate and not reckless. I was however breaking the law.

I think some people need to realise that a speed limit is just that. Not the speed that must be attained.

Drive to the conditions and limits of visibility.

:thumbup:

I have driven tractors and combines for years, the amount of people that would over take on blind corners or get right up behind you is unbelievable.

Nearly squashed a car between tractor and combine as he thought he could pass but didn't make so had to pull inbetween us the tractor had braked as he saw what was happening so the combine had to brake aswell.

After driving a tractor with a trailer with 15 tons or more of wheat in the back you really appreciate stopping distance especially when trailer pushes you down hill.

Had a women nip in between me and a roundabout once on a very short (200mtr) section of dual carriageway, I was slowing for the roundabout, she pulled in front and stamped on the brakes. I was in the local authority forestry tractor.

Only just stopped, I thought I was going to kill her and her children. I was fuming, she broke down into tears. I think she realised what she had done.

I think people see a slow moving vehicle and register it as just that, rather than slow to stop!

:thumbup:

I have driven tractors and combines for years, the amount of people that would over take on blind corners or get right up behind you is unbelievable.

Nearly squashed a car between tractor and combine as he thought he could pass but didn't make so had to pull inbetween us the tractor had braked as he saw what was happening so the combine had to brake aswell.

After driving a tractor with a trailer with 15 tons or more of wheat in the back you really appreciate stopping distance especially when trailer pushes you down hill.

Two slow moving vehicles traveling together should leave a large gap between each other, so they can be passed individually.