Starting from the Groundie

Treegeek

That has a kind of fascist undertone to it. QUOTE]

Maybe you're right, or maybe I just have high standards. From the heart, I cant stand lazyness and lack of initiative. Right or wrong, I really take it personally, like someone is taking a liberty.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Groundsmans guide portrays the kind of perfect groundsman we'd all want. We're never going to get him, but it does'nt make it a bad guide.

Steve, I know you say that some of those points are not the groundsmans responsibility, but would'nt it be nice if they did do those things?

And like Reg says, climbers could take on board a lot of the points.

Tim, your exactly right. Farming stock makes for brilliant ground guys.

The climber gets paid to climb, and the groundie gets paid to work the ground.

And yes, the handbook is an example of an Excellent Groundman/woman! The entire idea (besides orientation) is to help cover the employer's liability. When someone screws up and says "I didn't know that" or "You never told me that," you can break out their employee folder and show them where they initialed each point and signed it. This is especially important for bigger company's. It can justify them having to make restitution or even being terminated.

im not saying that groundworkers shouldnt be qualified and good at their jobs, why should someone whos being paid near minium wage be expected to be doing almost everthing which is what that document suggests. the bloke who owns the vans should be responsible for there up keep. i wouldnt expect a groundworker who hasnt even seen the job to know what equipment is needed, that would be for the person who quoted the job surely.

That has a kind of fascist undertone to it. QUOTE]

Maybe you're right, or maybe I just have high standards. From the heart, I cant stand lazyness and lack of initiative. Right or wrong, I really take it personally, like someone is taking a liberty.

Ok, just don't be hard on people who are not as smart or hardworking as you, they were born or brought up that way its not their fault.

The climber gets paid to climb, and the groundie gets paid to work the ground.

And yes, the handbook is an example of an Excellent Groundman/woman! The entire idea (besides orientation) is to help cover the employer's liability. When someone screws up and says "I didn't know that" or "You never told me that," you can break out their employee folder and show them where they initialed each point and signed it. This is especially important for bigger company's. It can justify them having to make restitution or even being terminated.

Loads of good points being brought up in this discussion. I've worked for companies who do the training/signing thing and its not enough to just get the groundies to sign a piece of paper to cover your arse if the sh*t hits the fan. You have to have continual assessment of their abilities.

Making a groundperson understand the importance of their job is paramount. They have to realise that they are an integral part of the whole operation.

Maybe the problems start when they are made to feel less important than the climber. Good climbers have a habit of being very confident people who can at times come across as arrogant or overbearing.

The main issue I have with MB's list is the authoritarian tone, 'do this or else' mentality. The list starts with a very condescending tone and continues with it till the end. If I was decent hardworking person given that list I'd be thinking 'this guy must think I'm a chump'

It's not a good way to start a friendly working relationship with a new member of staff.