A very delicate target !

David Humphries

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun scorch on the beech must be a bit of a worry.

Interestingly, the only trees lost to too much light, in the past have been old Oaks and not the Beech pollards, personally would have believed it to have been t'other way round :confused1:

This gradual opening up is phased over time with repeat visits and management.

:001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

They've been doing that down at Hanbury, couldn't believe how much they've opened it up (a little too much for my liking)

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4106

The thought was to fell a lot of the young Beech in order to allow light onto the Chestnuts and the Oaks. Went over there this morning and it looks to me that the old pollards and veteran Oaks are continuing to die-off, at a faster than natural rate.

Mr Monkeyd

I've been reading all your coro cut stuff over in tree health care.(I see you have a big fan across the pond)

Just wondered why you elected not to do some kind of natural fracture thing on the tree in this thread?

This one is for my own education, no ulterior motive or criticism, this time.

Mr Monkeyd

I've been reading all your coro cut stuff over in tree health care.(I see you have a big fan across the pond)

Just wondered why you elected not to do some kind of natural fracture thing on the tree in this thread?

This one is for my own education, no ulterior motive or criticism, this time.

Hello Paul.

The simple answer to your question, is that the angle of the stems did not lend themselves to attaining a good work position for carrying out coronetting, even on spikes.

Mewp was out of the question, as compaction is a serious issue at this site with the vet pollards and the ancient ditch/mound etc.

Plus to be frank, coros on green oak of that size diameter wood = serious cutting = not good for hands/saw pollution etc.........

Edited by Monkey-D

• 7 months later...

A delicate target of a completely different sort.

This Norway Maple died last year, possibly Verticilium Wilt, (although not much in the way of dark green staining of the annual ring) and we finally got around to removing the canopy this week.

Dont think the parakeets (first pic) will be too chuffed, there's usualy a dozen of them perching on it. http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/7626-woodpecker-damage-2.html

The site is next to and overhanging a changing area of an outdoor swimming facility.

Tight access one side and two fences to lug the brash out over on the other

, so nice wee habitat pile sufficed.

The 'delicate' targets in this case were the couple of judges, barristers and associated stakeholders, who use this pond daily, & who are not to be overly put out, due to previous local issues. Believe me, It would not have been worth the agro.

So carried out reduction spread over three days, which allowed us to get on we other things in between. Not that big a hastle really.

DSC01991.JPG.0eb434b9f76676957ea61f859b3a6a38.JPG

DSC01994.jpg.9f1849f194f9ec6f2bdaa262d3f38fcd.jpg

DSC01984.jpg.ba4bcab94f4da5a0fbff2611827f9d56.jpg

DSC01979.jpg.3760ebd6a3c812a7116937c2ab86ed5c.jpg

DSC01910.JPG.f43ac45393e0f72f0f9a572b3effa039.JPG

DSC01977.jpg.c7f1f2bd9d4d8a37df79993df8867f7e.jpg

DSC01987.JPG.7607c7247f8732ef32eea7d7ac3fc0b6.JPG

DSC01955.jpg.2264f0343a20442085bdf51e4cfb67d4.jpg

DSC01954.JPG.ffd2064682bd55e3cff658d30a0fdf48.JPG

DSC01909.JPG.a20e238ebb49c40451c66918ae9c9499.JPG

DSC01908.JPG.739c429175897cedb12bf0e69ad35273.JPG

Nice piccies by the way :-)

I had a pretty basic row of connifers to take out and was just setting up the first one when customer asks me to try and fell them on the fence posts to save digging them up.

That was a fun target practice day. Not really avoidance though, just teh usual roofs and greenhouses I guess.