ratchet strap failure, whilst rigging

sam walton

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what the forum is for, discussion of techniques, sharing ideas and chatting about close calls and learning from each other.

Normally I wouldnt use a ratchet strap in a rigging system, and I certainly wouldnt advocate the use of them in this scenario, I used one to see if there were an advantages in setting up the system, and tbh I prefer whoopies as they are quicker and easier.

When I started out, there was no such thing as whoopies, we frequently used 22mm bull rope tied off to make a sling around the base of the tree. We would also tie off ratchet straps to do the job. Since those days, I now use the right kit as available, except in one case where I didnt have a whoopie long enough to go around the tree, which was my own fault, as I thought mine was long enough. Necessity became the mother of adaptation, and my system was backed up. Training in rigging systems is essential, to understand the tolerances of any system. What is the strap from on the GRCS/Hobbs?

I've used a ratchet strap as an extension to the Hobbs strap and it was fine, as are many a home made bollard that you see floating around on the net....but the straps are all similarly applied where both ends are terminated at either side of the bollard, which are also designed to remain static against the tree under loading (hence, the stress is uniformed where the strap is attached)....unlike a porty-type design which flops around.

To simply run the strap through a porty is asking for trouble. A good analogy would be like trying to pull a piece of paper apart as opposed pulling but also adding some twisting action....obviously the latter would instantaneously start a tear.

I heard just recently that a new lowering device might be in the making, a step up from the porty if you like.

I'm glad you're alright Sam

Hows it goin Sam, apart from that scary one!

What kind of capstan was it, a hobbs i assume? Thats one problem with the one we have, the ratchet strap in intergal to the system and sits at the bottem. It's is something that i pay particular attention to when loler inspecting as it the only thing on the holding it to the tree.

What was the rating on the strap. More impotantly are you ok?

We have been dicking round with a rigging weight tester (can't rmember the name, some on help me out please!) at work and it is quite shocking when you drop stuff to shock load more that 1/2 a metre. 250kg section lowering on to itself is a big peice if the distance dropped is large and the groundie has not let it run.

You must have cacked yourself!

Ratchet straps are not designed for rigging. Do you know what the SWL is?

Get trained and use the right kit.

I get your point but it is a little harsh, sometimes in treework you have to be adaptive and inventive its how progress is made.

When i first read about using ratchets straps on this forum i thought it was a good idea, particularly the way it holds the capstan with minimal slack which can be a problem with snatching, i've seen wraps get thrown from a device as the rope goes taught with certain capstans.

I don't think i'll be using a ratchet strap anytime soon, but like Andy I'll keep the idea in the old mental tool box as a get me out of trouble soloution albiet with keeping its weaknesses in mind

However the capstan is attached to the tree, and however much slack there is in the attachment software, you should still be able to pretension the lowering rope. Much easier with two groundies, but even if you have to pull down on the rope with one hand and make the first wrap with the other you should still be able to get it fairly tight?