ratchet strap failure, whilst rigging

sam walton

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, yeah i found out the scary way. i dont reckon you can get a sling tight enough to stop the kapstan sliding up the tree. I'l try get some pictures of the snapped strap and the kapstan i used. I think the eges of it could be too sharp and may needed a little more grinding or sanding.

if its a take down cut some small grooves/gobs into truck and tighten the sling into them. ive never had one slip out.

[quote name=kipperfeet;

What was the rating on the strap. More impotantly are you ok?

We have been dicking round with a rigging weight tester (can't rmember the name' date='

![/quote]

Dynanometer bro.. trying to get hold of one here to do some shock testing of splices and diff knots..

Anyone? :confused1:

If I buy a large whoopie sling how would I shorten it to be tight up against the tree?

All this new technology has me baffled :sad:

attach the portawrap to the small eye. Pull the tail to adjust the size of the whoopie sling.hope that helps.

I looked at a new ratchet strap in a shop today, the label said breaking strain 5000Kg and also "not for lifting". So to do things right stey should'nt really be used at all. Having said that before I bought the Hobbs, ie a few weeks ago I used the setup pictured below.

I think that a bollard which has teeth or is cut in is probably ok as the straps are only pulling the bollard into the stem. A flying capstan however would put a lateral load on the strap and therefore is probably not a good idea.

Image070.jpg.a5a6ec4fa0d3f84b7bb7dae0b6d83244.jpg

I looked at a new ratchet strap in a shop today, the label said breaking strain 5000Kg and also "not for lifting". So to do things right stey should'nt really be used at all. Having said that before I bought the Hobbs, ie a few weeks ago I used the setup pictured below.

I think that a bollard which has teeth or is cut in is probably ok as the straps are only pulling the bollard into the stem. A flying capstan however would put a lateral load on the strap and therefore is probably not a good idea.

I'd say that the bollard would cut into that top strap. Looks like a sharp 90% edge on that steel.

DrewB cheers for the info, think I'll buy one and have a mess about :001_smile:

1 last thing though do you just tuck the tail under the rope a few times like a timber hitch?