Home-made ready meals for the week?

josharb87

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chilli, curry, bolognaise, casseroles, joints of meat..... all sorts. Just cook more than you need on the first day then it's still good to go several days later. Curry and chilli etc, you can just leave in a lidded pan on the hob and reheat it. Each time you reheat, it gets tastier.

Broth is always a good one too ul never beat my mothers though mate lol

Agree with that too - when we do broth or soup we make several litres at a time in the Dutch oven. It's brilliant being able to heat this up in the mornings and ladle some into a food flask for work. While my mate is sitting there eating cheese sandwiches and Fabulous Baker Boy flapjack, I'm enjoying a nice flask of piping hot homemade soup with a French stick! Same with the casseroles and stuff..... chuck some boiled spuds in the casserole, ladle some into a food flask..... and then you've got a proper hot lunch. Mmmmmm......

Chilli, curry, bolognaise, casseroles, joints of meat..... all sorts. Just cook more than you need on the first day then it's still good to go several days later. Curry and chilli etc, you can just leave in a lidded pan on the hob and reheat it. Each time you reheat, it gets tastier.

Thats a recipe for food poisoning. I appreciate you are going to carry on doing it regardless, but its terrible advice to put on a public forum.

Put it in the fridge, then take out as much as you need each time, rather than reheating it several times.

I cook large quantities of whatever I'm making on weekends, then keep leftovers in the fridge for weeknights. Leftovers of most things are at least as tasty as the original meal, if not tastier.

I used to make whole batches of sandwiches and freeze them. All different fillings...some wierd and wonderful, then package them all seperately. So each day i could have 2 or 3 different flavours

That's a good idea - never thought to freeze made up sandwiches... they don't go soggy when they defrost?

Thats a recipe for food poisoning. I appreciate you are going to carry on doing it regardless, but its terrible advice to put on a public forum.

Put it in the fridge, then take out as much as you need each time, rather than reheating it several times.

I cook large quantities of whatever I'm making on weekends, then keep leftovers in the fridge for weeknights. Leftovers of most things are at least as tasty as the original meal, if not tastier.

Yeah, I suppose it might not be best practice. But we haven't been ill yet and have reheated chillis and curries for something like the last 16 years. We always give it a proper good boil before eating, and the heavy lid stays on all the time, so it's kind of in a protective atmosphere :biggrin:

However, they're always completely eaten after 2 to 3 days anyway, and the chilli/spices and proper heating keep it safe. Once the Dutch oven is empty, we put it on the floor for the dogs to clean out before giving it a wash in hot water and a wipe around with oil. If we want to keep anything for longer, then yep, it goes in the fridge or the freezer.

One thing to NEVER reheat is rice. Reheating can cause the release of Bacillus cereus emetic toxin which can make you proper sick. I knew about this, then experienced it first hand when I reheated some egg-fried rice that had been in a foil container all night. I was ill within an hour of eating it :stupido3: