big oak reduction ,

defenderjack

Nice job:thumbup: It does look like you hit it a bit harder than 30% but its difficult to understand with pics. As for roping out branches on a reduction, I tried a type of zipline that worked well, what i did was set up 2 pulleys, one in the tree and one on the ground and had a continuous rope loop round the 2 pulleys, and where the rope was joined i had an alpine butterfly and a krab. The branches were attached to the krab by a strop and the groundies just pulled them out of the tree in a conveyor belt kind of idea. The pulley on the ground i had set up so it could be lengthened and shortened to get the tension needed. I hope that makes sense. I never tried with heavy stuff because i am not so sure about it for that but for reductions where you need to rig inner branches it worked a treat:thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the reduction!

Interesting point about making the playing field level for all contractors hama. What is the suggested method of specifying reductions now then as apposed to percentages? Are we talking about estimated distances? Refering more to leaf area? Certain parts of a tree targeted for heavier reduction than others?

I started trying to discuss this new standard before but I dont think it was clear where I was coming from or where I was going with it the thread was entitled BS3998 putting the specific into specification. I will be starting over when if finished digesting the FULL doc which is now a big 50 odd pages!

Looks good to me.I see a good job made out of a less than favourable situation.Thats as much as anyone can ask for.

agreed 100%:001_smile:

Nice job:thumbup: It does look like you hit it a bit harder than 30% but its difficult to understand with pics. As for roping out branches on a reduction, I tried a type of zipline that worked well, what i did was set up 2 pulleys, one in the tree and one on the ground and had a continuous rope loop round the 2 pulleys, and where the rope was joined i had an alpine butterfly and a krab. The branches were attached to the krab by a strop and the groundies just pulled them out of the tree in a conveyor belt kind of idea. The pulley on the ground i had set up so it could be lengthened and shortened to get the tension needed. I hope that makes sense. I never tried with heavy stuff because i am not so sure about it for that but for reductions where you need to rig inner branches it worked a treat:thumbup:

thanks mate :thumbup1: the idea sounds good too i like the idea of groundys doing the work getting the branches out the tree !:001_smile: your right about pictures never coming across right , they dont show the real spread of the crown and in some places i dont reckon i took 25 % and i was pretty much at the tips of most branches (or at least it felt like it !)

do you get to do many private jobs hama i wouldn't mind being your groundy and see you do one of your fine reductions :thumbup1:

You could always come out when im doing some freelance vet work?:thumbup1:

not sure there would be any pay but I can garauntee a lot of interest and good laughs. Ive got a few to do coming up that you would be more than welcome to tag along on.

You could always come out when im doing some freelance vet work?:thumbup1:

not sure there would be any pay but I can garauntee a lot of interest and good laughs. Ive got a few to do coming up that you would be more than welcome to tag along on.

that sounds good :thumbup1: are you likely to do them on weekends ? i presume you work all week ,

• 2 months later...

This was the oak reduction i was talking about it had been almost pollarded in the past so a lot of dead wood came out all done with silky apart from large pieces of dead wood .Some times you just dont have a lot to work with :sneaky2:

DSCF2866.jpg.7e3255e32336c1e1629dc99eb15f9c7b.jpg

Edited by andrew t