First Aid at Work

stevelucocq

hi,

I work in a large team of arborist where I am the only qualified first aider. Does anyone know what is the legal requirements are of my employer as I am concern about the lack of first aiders in the team? Cheers Steve

As the only qualified person on site you should not operate a chainsaw, chipper or any dangerous machinery, the thought being you may not be able to administer first-aid to your self! :ohmy: Looks like your in for an easy time :closedeyes:

The HSE won’t give definitive guidance about first aider numbers. They do say that the number of first aiders is dependant on the activity. It’s up to the management to decide what they think is appropriate and it’s up to employees to bring shortcomings like that to their attention.

Speaking as a first aid training provider I like Ed’s responsible attitude.:biggrin:

On a serious note, given that accidents in tree work can be serious it’s not a bad idea to know what to do if your mate “cops a bad un”. The ability to save a life is a talent worth having.

Andy

I hold first aid at work and was a first aid instructor (that has now run out!). Also a city and guilds in primary and emergency. so your not the only one!:001_tongue: probably most of the team have done first aid at some time but are not in date! i think the legal requirement is that at least one member of a working team should be first aid trained up to a certain no. (????) so in a team of three one.

However i think that everyone should be first aid trained as it is a life skill and you never know who you might need to help? could be a loved one!

I think the change I've seen in 20 years is the advancement of paramedics and air ambulances.

When I went on my first first-aid course 15 years ago, it was 6 days of intensive medical training. They would fail you if the overlaps on your bandages were 1/2inch out.

Nowadays they just want you to keep the casualty alive till the proffesionals get there. The emphasis is keep them breathing, stop them bleeding. Studies have shown that over eager first aiders (wannabe doctors) have done irreperable damage to casualty's and even killed them.

An emergency first aid course is 1 day, costs about £45, and in my opinion, if you cant put your staff through that, you may aswell give up.

i hope the wannabe dr wasn't a go at me:blushing:

but your right its the easy and quick techniques like direct pressure and elavation and staying calm that can buy someone time. not bandaging and making slings:001_smile:

hi james!

Sorry I totally forgot about all your first aid skills and experiences that make 2 out 14! Yeah just worried about the lack of first aiders in our work and was trying to get some legal note on the issue. Thanks for everyone input.

the way i see it is what if you have an accident.... god forbid! or on holiday. who is your first aider or fills in when your off. if your in an office or a mud man you have an accident its usually not that bad But in our chosen trade if we have a accident theres a fair chance its going to be ugly its sensible to take sensible precautions at least two members on a gang with first aid at ALL times that means if you are off another member needs to fill in for you