Sun Dried African Firewood

windfall

Aside from the ecological, and ethical, points of view, I can't help but think someone somewhere here is missing out on the Market for more locally sourced fuel wood. So you can't get it on the Isle of Man, but you're not that far from the UK mainland, and many local suppliers (well more local than Africa anyway) are just across the water. Surely educating the customers as to the benefits of locally sourced logs is better than importing vast distances. Why not at least import from EU connected countries if the UK can't meet your needs? Obviously you've looked into this far more than I have, or would, this is your business and you have to make it work anyway you feel necessary, in order to survive in a tough industry.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windfall

I did look into trucking timber to you as I am not that far away from either Heysham or Liverpool but was shocked at the ferry price of £650 plus vat for my little 7.5 tonne Merc.

Whats the score with woodland on the island as for tax purposes I found an estate with 50 acres of woodland that I thought was ideal for my purpose but now having second thoughts.

I'm really impressed that you could take action like that Mr Windfall.

Surely someone in UK from this forum can get you a better deal than that?

+1!!

It takes strength of character to come back on a decision like that, to concede to the viewpoints of your peers, especially if it was set to make you some easy(?) money.:thumbup1:

:thumbup1:

Dude don't pretend you know the IOM, specifically our government. Every tree here has a TPO, nothing at all can be felled without a licence. Specially not a tree in one of our protected glens, as in your link.

I have not said the African wood is Eco friendly, or carbon neutral you have obviously just looked at my website and are trying to be a smart e pants.

Don't forget I opened up this discussion.

Facts are none of us have actually tried the product or know anything about it other than what's on the website! How do we know it's not sensibly farmed with the support of the SA government? Yes it got wood miles but so has kilndried Latvian wood and there is hundreds of cubes of that entering the uk every month.

You have said you don't agree with it fair enough, but there is no need to get personal or start threatening me with trading standards.

I apologize if it was considered personal which was not intended at all unlike the response and I was careful not to mention where I had seen the wording. (I also produce charcoal from local wood sources and had to have the wording checked on the label. Trading standards had also weighed all the sacks at shop outlets without us knowing and approved which was :thumbup:)

We are aware there are some of the strictest laws around regarding trees on the IOM and the sensible reasons for this. There is a link on the website if needed.

With due respect I see you have cancelled the order and hope someone on the forum could help with a direct deal for supplies from the mainland. I have some shipping contacts based in Liverpool and can send a PM if needed.

I have just cancelled my order for this product.

I have just cancelled my order for this product.

windfall, your cancellation may be a little hasty.

Let me add some petrol to the flames......

What is wrong with africans trying to sell their products into the uk?

1. Wood is a commodity and like any other it is traded globally. Does anyone refuse to buy petrol because it comes from saudi arabia instead of the north sea?

2.leaving the wood for the locals is fine. They will need some . But they also need cash to escape a subsistence (poverty line) lifestyle. Is anyone suggesting we shut them out of the market and keep them poor and hungry?

3.given the cost of any imported firewood what are you all worried about? the african wood will only ever service the ultra premium, snobby end of the market.

4. The greenpeace comments above are shallow and trite. The questions that should be asked are:

Do the workers there share properly in the rewards?

Is the resource managed in a sustainable way?

This is trade not aid and it deserves fair treatment. To a very large extent most of africa is kept poor as they are locked out ofb eu markets by the cap and other tarrif barriers. if they can make a few bob flogging firdwood good luck to them.

Finally, ask yourself this:

If jan the boer phoned you and ordered 10,000 tons of sitka delivered to cape town, money no object would you tell him to go away? Would you !

Now awaiting return fire:p

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

Edited by skyhuck
Language

I have gone with my gut feeling firewood, I had doubts when i started this thread and willing to admit that i made a bad call.

The majority of my peirs feel its a bad idea, if this is the consensious of people earning a living from fuel then what do the end users feel about it! If they feel half as strong as the people selling fuel then its not something i want to promote or put my name too. I have worked my b@lls off for the last 14 months setting up and establishing my business and i do not want to let anything jepordise my hardwork.

That said they are not blood logs, personally I have never heard of log packing camps where people are executed for smuggling logs out of the camp but it seems that is what they are percieved to be. It is frustrating when none of us know anything about them other than whats on the companies website.

Now we wont even know how they burn!