Newbie Climber

defenderdrakeford

I found the best sort of trees that got my nerve up whilst learning to climb where large open beach or any large open tree... get an achore point and ascend to a low long limb and try kicking off the trunk to swing out and further out you can try to get your self moving or running up to the branch tip that cured me and got the confidance to get me moving quicker around trees.

It did take a while i used to rec climb a bit as well but I think 2 months after i started....the beach tree on merrist woods front lawn one morning it all clicked in to place.....not that every thing became easyer after that and i was definietly shaking like a sh1tting dog on the first few spars i snatched out!and a few other things that where new but practice makes perfect!

A bit of fear or as i would call it respect for heights is a good thing.

cheers, mat

Hi All

Just started my arboriculture Course at college - Really enjoying it!!!

Just thought id ask if anyone has any tips or advice for getting used to the kit and how to get a head for heights a bit more.

All Help Appreciated:)

Thanks

Charlie

Which college you at Charlie?

Hi....

Yes i have been off the ground for getting on 10 times now over the peroid of 5 weeks, i have done 3big branch walks, a traverse??, Err jumped out of a tree(safely) and just done a bit of general climbing and also some aerial rescue:post: -

I am at Cannington college studying arboriculture National Certificate to progress to the National Award L3.

Many Thanks

Charlie

try and do some lead climbing at an indoor rock climbing wall. will definetely help your upper body get stronger and once you get used to climbing above your anchor point (on rock) then climbing below it (in trees) doesnt seem anywhere near as bad.

And the more time you spend in the trees the easier it gets. good luck bro.

Hi defender

The thing I always found hard at first was getting trust in the kit. Once I felt comfortable hanging off the rope, it all became much easier! Soon enough you even forget you are working at height and just enjoy the view..

At Merristwood, they used to make climbers hang upside down off their rope to gain confidence.

Hi Charlie,

I did the NC at Cannington. I take it you jumped out of the Beech tree and have started climbing on the 'windbreak pines'?

Main thing for getting a head for heights: climb as much as possible! And set little targets for yourself as you climb so that your mind is on something other than the height. For example perhaps pick out some deadwood near the top and go and get it. The more you concentrate on a task the less you will worry about where you are.

Say hi to darren chambers for me - I believe he is your instructor there these days?

cheers,

Paul Barton