where goes your dog sleep & why ???

predator

I would be greatfull if i,am doing wrong here but seem to be bonding more and more with my little dog now as i have caved in and started to let him sleep at the bottom of my bed only when he,s clean lol

is it ok or should he be kept downstairs as he,s got a cage that he uses in kitchen and a large kennel in yard

HE,S A PET NOT A WORKING DOG REMEMBER but goes everywhere with me if iam out hes out etc guarding my jeep n gear anyone goes near my jeep he gives them a nice toothy smile lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two french mastiffs both of which are most definately outdoor dogs. No room for their great slobbering chops in my house I'm afraid. They each have their own kennel which get new wool blankets regularly through winter. Sometimes they'll share a kennel. Both also have decent coats for the colder winter nights but during summer they both seem to like crashing on the lawn or burrowing into the wood chip aorund the garden.

We have a border terrier/jack and a lakeland/jack. At night they both sleep in baskets with blankets over them on the kitchen floor, with the door shut. During day, they sleep anywhere. Definitely wouldn't have them sleeping on the bed at night - we love them to bits, but dogs can end up a bit too "needy"!

Our spaniel has a cage in the utility. He's staked his claim on the room with its heated floor and you have a real job getting him out of his cage.... mention the word bed and he's in there like a shot. I don't like animals in our living areas, mostly because as a dog, he wants to be rolling in sh*t and I'd rather he did that than I spoiled his fun trying to keep him clean....

Depends on both you and the dog - wife? I have 2 working cockers, both work on a shoot twice a week, do all the gundog skills but sleep on the bed.

The older dog spend alot of day time in the truck to get his space and will often sleep downstairs 'but' the younger dog has an affection deficit, as a pup it was like having a baby - no sleep for 6 weeks. Now 18 months old, he creeps onto the bottom of the bed and creeps up alongside my wife & sleeps on his back, if she gets up he creeps up so his head is on the pillow.

It's all down to what's normal & tolerable for you:thumbup1:

We have just adopted a staffie that we used to dog sit and he gets to come into bed every night for about 20 mins for a cuddle, he likes to put head on pillow at nite and then as soon as one of us wakes in the morning he is in bed again, straight under the duvet. If gf is away then he spends the night in her share of the bed.

Most loving dog i have ever met, just wants to be everyones friends.

:001_tongue: before anyone says it i am the fat balding one

SDC11263.jpg.f7e988eef5964360b7a9f106542c3924.jpg

CIMG0214.jpg.f5a1744c3528d7cf06ab845a4c88fd93.jpg

Our collie cross has her bed in our bedroom and has a cuddle on the bed for a few minutes before sleep before going to her bed when told. She won't come up again unless asked. She is as good as gold, and obviously is always clean when on the bed, but like predator says, you start bonding more and more with them.

seem to be bonding more and more with my little dog now as i have caved in and started to let him sleep at the bottom of my bed ... is it ok or should he be kept downstairs as he's got a cage that he uses in kitchen and a large kennel in yard

Depends on whether it's a he-dog or a bitch.

Males want to be dominant, be(come) the alpha dog or on top and leader of the pack (hierarchy), which means they want to have first pick of food (some dogs try to eat from your plate or steal food and defend once given or gathered food), first pick of spot or territory (lay down (and sleep) on their favourite "safe" spot on the sofa or in your bed, preferably in between your wife and you) and first pick of sex or reproduction (mounting your leg or that of strangers).

So by letting him sleep in your bed, you "tell" him he has first pick of spot, by giving him or letting him steal food at/from the table or your plate you "tell" him he has first pick of food and I won't get into the details of what is communicated, when you allow him to ... :laugh1: .

Bitches are far more submissive (to you, but not necessarily to your wife or daughters, dogs smell the differing feromones) and are "easier" drilled or trained and shown their place in the hierarchy of your family, i.e. the pack.

Some bitches may compete for your attention with the female members of your family. They mostly respond different to new born babies (protection, "nursing") than male (alpha) dogs do.

Some dogs want to sleep close to your face to be able to watch your mouth when awake, because showing your teeth is an act of aggression and threat, and that's why some dogs react with barking when people laugh out loud, because they feel threatened by the display of teeth.

Edited by Fungus