Where to go and what to buy??

SAW

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bio oil is pretty expensive, I would either buy veg oil from a supermarket or mineral oil from a saw shop, I doubt they will check. You can buy a small single measure of 2 stroke oil that will mix 5 litres of petrol, that should be QUOTE]

Veg oil, wow never thought of that but is it thick enough to do the job? Needs the viscosity to stick surely. Is it worth the risk and the mess in a £500 new saw?

A bit harsh to make you go and buy all that for a course! PPE yes, its essential but breaker bars and your own combi can and a forestry tape etc is a bit much.

If you are planning to go in to cs 38/39 after then get all round trousers type c to save you getting some later for chainsaw in a tree.

Hi-flex seem to fall to bits to quickly for my liking, the Husqy ones i have at the Mo are light comfy and so far seem well made.

I always say, buy the best you can afford if you are planning to stay in tree work. It will always pay for itself in the long run.

Try Treescape arb in Warrington as well, they did some very good deals at the APF and still are for us now.

Good luck with the course and prepare for a tough week!

If the college will hire the gear out to you for the duration of the course, that is definately the best thing to do.

i would find out how much it would cost to hire the stuff

biggest prob with college or centre kit is they usually lend you chainsaw wellies which are not what i would like to wear for a week

also to consider is what are you going to do after the course

if looking for employment the employer should provide kit so why buy it for your test

Good point on the wellies, especially after some other sweaty-footed student has been wearing them all week the week before! I wore the welllies once, and then bought a pair of the old brown Stihl tractor treaded sole chainsaw boots. They were the mutts!

I know the wellies aren't the most comfortable but for most trainers its the cheapest option to supply larger amounts of PPE and at least you can wash them and dry them fairly easily and they also offer good levels of protection usually being at least class 2 if not 3. The other point is that not everyone coming for training are looking to progress into full time tree work and maybe gardeners,LA or volunteer workers etc are looking for some footwear for occasional use and with a realistic price tag. Definately try to use or hire the kit if you can especially if you don't like it then you only have to wear it for a few days! Where I train the course cost includes the use of the saw and all PPE and we offer a discount voucher from a well known saw manufacturer giving 20% off all related products from local dealerships so ask whats on offer! good luck

Hi,

I emailed the college/training school about hiring kit from them for the course, but they told me that they don't hire out or have any kit that can be used by me.....But there is a firm not far away that i could hire from and maybe afterwards i could pick what i need when i look for a job????

I like the idea of buying some boots before hand.........