Stihl 020AV

zorba

Hello As you can see we are very new to the forum. We are also very new and very amateur to your wonderful pastime and business. We are UK citizens living in Greece and have inherited about 20 orange,lemon,plum, walnut, almond, apricot and pomegranate trees. We have further inherited 20 olive trees. Last year we did everything by hand (badly) and this year purchased a 2nd hand Stihl 020 av saw to aid things. We look after our tools and are upset that this machine has continually had running issues. Can anyone help. When it first arrived the machine fired up and incidentally has fabulous compression. We ran it for about 40 minutes and it cut out. And so it begins. I have basic engineering knowledge so took to looking at this machine as Greek engineers are "basic". I replaced the plug with a 2nd hand one I had spare and have subsequently put a new one in. There had been a crack in the fuel tank which had been repaired with after sales gunk that had also blocked the feed pipe to the carb. It then proceeded to start on full choke and stall, restarting on 2/3rds choke on the next pull. Clearing to run reasonably well on 1/4 choke. It has continually (since then ) run for about 5 minutes where it either stalls or after being turned off refuses to start. I also see a fuel leak (I think) with fuel coming from the lower casing but do not feel this is "the problem" at present. I have yet to open the carb but am getting to that point. Has ANYONE any ideas..it is a great saw when running and am loathe to give up on it. Ian

There had been a crack in the fuel tank which had been repaired with after sales gunk that had also blocked the feed pipe to the carb. It then proceeded to start on full choke and stall, restarting on 2/3rds choke on the next pull. Clearing to run reasonably well on 1/4 choke.

Hi Zorba, I think the clue is in the repaired tank and blocked pick up. The gunk will have gotten into the carb, so the first thing to do is dissmantle, clean and re-kit the carb. As it ran OK before the carb got blocked it should be OK after the carb service. Only attempt the rebuild and subsequent tuning if you are competant.

There are several postings on here recently with tuning tips, both from myself and from Spudulike

Good luck

The 020 av was the fore runner of the 020T but of different design .

Considering it's age it could have several issues .One because of it's age it would stand to reason the carb needs rebuilt because it most likely has some stiff innards .

Secondly from what you said by runnning partially choked you could have a bad crankcase seal sucking air .Seals on this model are relatively easy to change .

The saw itself is a little bit of a nuisance to work on because everything is contained within a "shell " that must be removed first to get to anything .Fact the first one I ever repaired it took me 45 minutes just to figure out how to get inside it .

Thank you both. I have managed to get the thing running today on virtually full choke and starting it with the throttle set in the high rev position. I get it just about running and staying running with the choke just off the open position. As soon as the choke is removed the revs start to rise and it fades instantly. My next question is .....Can I get a carb kit and can I get a seal and of course where from? It really is a cracking saw when running correctly. On the Greek islands here it still commands a price of about 180 euros so am persevering. Thank you for you help.I shall of course be asking about my trees in due course.

Hi Zorba ,

hope you get it sorted , it really is a great little saw. and likewise it still fetches good money here in Portugal (even non-runners )

out of interest .....How where your Olives this year ?? Here in Central Portugal we had a bumper crop.

steve

My exploits with one of these 020AVS is here - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/33857-whats-your-bench-today-14.html

This one had a needle whose plating had started to degrade and this caused the needle valve to stop sealing.

Your problems sound like fuel starvation, the starting on choke and not running off it, the rising in revs like it is running out of fuel etc, all signs that the carb has a blockage.

The bad news is that these saws are not the easiest to work on but if you have some decent skills, you should be ok.

Have you tried turning the L screw 1/4 turn anti clockwise? possibly worth trying but if it works, it could be masking an air leak issue.

The other easy thing worth trying is to run the saw with the fuel cap loose and see if it is better as it may be the breather in the fuel cap is plugged - the one I was working on was!

Good luck

Well that could be a problem on some island in the Med . If this will help here's what you got .Clutch side seal ,part number 9640-003-1890 .Flywheel side 9640 003 1190 .

It will either have a Walbro model WT carb or a Tillotson model HU 7 .It will be on the carb some place .

Now I don't know if this would work or not .You can find that stuff on E-Bay US .If the seller will ship international ,US airmail is the cheapest in the world bar none .Fact I shipped a McCulloch carb from about east central US (Ohio )to Australia for 4 dollars US what ever that figures out in whatever currency ,where ever .That's like half way around the world .I have no idea if you'd get stuck with some type of import taxes or not . That's just an option .--Good luck ---

Thank you so much everybody. I now have something to work on. Here in Greece by the way we have also had a good crop but are only getting 1.90 euros per kilo of oil. I will try some suggestions tomorrow and start to search for spares in due course.

• 2 years later...
I have an 020av and it cuts out after half a tank or so. The fuel cap has a screw in it, it was leaking so I tightened it up... so this is a breather to sllow air into thr tank? Otherwise if it was sealed it would create a vacuum?

Sounds like you have answered your own question.

Screwed in to tight and not being able to breath, as the fuel tank emptys the vacuum increases moreso causing it to cut out through lack of fuel.