EKN Kolibri Harness

Mr Ed

just a quick one. does anyone find it annoying that the waist belt has a release on it but not the leg straps? is it still easy to get in and out of? i would have thought having them on the waist and not the legs kinda defeated the object. dont want to end up ruining one if i get one, by having to slide my muddy boot through the loop in whatever direction

jim

Jim, IMO its not the easiest harness to put on,but when on well worth the effort.Their is the odd little thing with it ,as with all harnesses,the leg loops do need to be adjusted from time to time(by adjusted I mean just slid round the leg a little)But all in all I am very very happy with mine:icon14::icon14::wave:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do you guys have the single sliding D or two?? trying to weigh up pros and cons of both ways

One here, cause if you have both your main climbing rope and secondary lanyard/flipline attached to the front bridge via 2 Ds then your only really tied in once, so if you cut through your bridge your gonna fall.

When you have the secondary lanyard/flipline attached side D to side D your not only tied in twice at the tree but at the harness end as well.

However, there are times when you need to switch both climbing rope and secondary lanyard/flipline to the bridge - when felling a large top out of a tree or drop cutting a large horizontal limb.

If you stayed attached side D to side D when doing either of these tasks there is a huge risk of serious internal crushing injuries from the stem splitting and pulling you in against the stem. By being attached to the front bridge you move yourself out of the loop.

Kolibri set up.

Then there's the trapeze attachment which is a whole different story. You need a certain type of harness for that to work.

climber.JPG.783312615bd3948243206d3225d88a2a.JPG

59765339c9f11_side20d.jpg.bcdd9019c6ea979b99799a21eb6cbb51.jpg

Different harness but i'll explain my set up.

Butterfly2. I run two lines both off of my bridge, i have my climbing line at 45m and a shorter line at 8m. i normally use these. i'f i'm removing a tree i also carry a pole strop. i've found in some sections a 3rd anchor can be invaluable.

Tim what positions are you getting into where cutting your bridge is seriously an option?

Jamie

Tim, I THINK the availability of the two rings on the bridge could be to connect the two ends of your climbing line seperately to gain some seperation across your bridge and make handling your friction hitch easier,

but i could be way way out on that. Im purely speculating

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this ultamate new climbing harness, any one who likes the komet Dragonfly,Tree Austria 2 then this bad boys for you.

Total freedom of movement is given by the leg straps that allow the legs to move independently allowing ultimate body movement

With correct adjustment the leg loops will not interfere with the climbers normal movement

The fastening on the waist belt can be closely fitted to fully support the back and has a close fitting central loop.

A double row of loops allows a variety of attachment tools or crabs

(E)duard (K)aufmann (N)euwied was the original company name of the manufacturer but now manufactured by SKYLOTEC.

Otherwise known as the EKN or Hummingbird

I had a quick go in a Skylotec last week.

It was a lot better than expected. The last leg loop harness I tried was a POS from Buckingham ( imported by Money bros' ) purchased by a worker more into looks than comfort ( the youngsters will learn eventually)