lock jack, spider jack, vt?

Will Ayers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it must be a good little bit of kit but i can't justify the price when i never have any issues on my 5m side strop with vt and pulley for 20% of the price :biggrin:

I was good last year and Santa got me a positioner. I bought 5m of blaze with a spliced on snap lock to go with it. Not even tried it properly and I love it already. So much smoother!

I'm converted to mechanical shinys now. I love the reliability and simplicity. I can climb more confidently knowing it will grab reliably.

I'll let you have a play :) if you get hold of a SJ I'll have to have a dance on that too.

also... is the lock jack rated to descend on a single line without a rope wrench or whatever to back it up? just another thought is all!

:)

Can't be done Will. Just the same ad you wouldn't be able to descend on a VT or other hitch. I am going to use a LJ with a rope wrench though. It's cool, compact and efficient! I will hang on to my SJ though,

Can't be done Will. Just the same ad you wouldn't be able to descend on a VT or other hitch. I am going to use a LJ with a rope wrench though. It's cool, compact and efficient! I will hang on to my SJ though,

cheers for that deerman! :001_cool:

i have been intrigued by the ropewrench and cant quite get my head around it, but that is for another thread!:blushing:

ok here is my opinion, i have used spiderjack since they practically came out, and I'm still using the same one after all these years, a few cams later it is still working as new, its reliable in all conditions i got sick of hitches when it got wet! my work mates are still on hitch's and i laugh at them messing around with different knots, and them not biting, all that stuff, no you can't mount a sj mid line, but then i never really did with a hitch, always kept it on the rope, i would recommend a smaller diameter rope, because my 13mm is not as smooth as i would like, with my lanyard i use vt hitch and pulley on i think 10mm sirus with 8mm poly cord, this is great, very light and cheap, and can be used as a second climbing line, very versatile, and so light i honestly don't feel the difference when it isn't there. if you get a spiderjack just give it a chance, get used to it and you won't look back.............in my opinion :P

I'm going to be watching this thread with great interest. There seems to be two schools of thought at the moment; Rope wrench and SJ. I haven't tried either but I'm most definately getting a SJ and I might just go on the RW too and try them both over a long period just to see which I adapt to better and will work best for me.