Arb dog claw care question

predator

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My working cockers had their dew claws removed as pups (and half their tails), the older dog had one long nail, which I cut off carefully with a small hacksaw (also pulled one of my son's milk teeth with a small pair of pipe grips).

Noticed a while ago the older dog had two front claws that looked opened up (much have caught them jumping on the quad) so the vet removed them, not sure if they will grow back.

Trimming his ears I nicked his skin, sewed it up with fishing line - since worked out a better method - much to his relief.

Noticed a small cut under his chin on the last shoot day, which he scratched out larger so at the moment he's walking around with a cut down doggie lampshade on, waking us up all night as he crashes into objects.

I trained them not to jump fences - seen too many dogs with bad cuts underneath.

I leave my dogs dew claws alone as she needs them for climbing trees.

Have a look at some of the ' Treeing ' coonhounds from America, some of us on here will be astonished at their tree climbing ability no spiderjacks or hc's in sight.

Just nick points off nail and file with small halfround file or dremmel if you like,they dont like it but wont hate you forever :thumbup:

all done and worked out for the better he was fine very settled whilst i did it etc and he,s running up n down playing with his toys etc n just had him out for a good walk to he was running round more than ever like a goodun poor things worn out sat infront of fire asleep now

all done and worked out for the better he was fine very settled whilst i did it etc and he,s running up n down playing with his toys etc n just had him out for a good walk to he was running round more than ever like a goodun poor things worn out sat infront of fire asleep now

Its a stressfull thing for both dog and owner!! :thumbup:

TO BE HONEST I THINK THE BELT SANDER HAS DONE A CRACKING JOB VERY FAST TOO EVEN HIS JEW CLAWS DONE NO PAIN OR BLOOD AND MOST OF ALL I DID,NT HURT HIM OR FRIGHTEND HIM HE WAS FINE

i was really worried about it i told the vet i could here his claws clicking on the floor when walking around i think it must bug,em when there claws are long like me having big toe nails lol

TO BE HONEST I THINK THE BELT SANDER HAS DONE A CRACKING JOB VERY FAST TOO EVEN HIS JEW CLAWS DONE NO PAIN OR BLOOD AND MOST OF ALL I DID,NT HURT HIM OR FRIGHTEND HIM HE WAS FINE

i was really worried about it i told the vet i could here his claws clicking on the floor when walking around i think it must bug,em when there claws are long like me having big toe nails lol

A belt sander!!!! are you serious?? Sledge hammer to crack a nut and all that !!! :sneaky2:

A belt sander!!!! are you serious?? Sledge hammer to crack a nut and all that !!! :sneaky2:

no striaght up took no time at all i,am now thinking of jackin the wood thing in and doing poochie paws instead

seriously yes took me about a min and the dog was fine i did,nt want to hurt him chomping away with cutters pain n blood etc as his claws are black i tried him with cutters and he was so stressed out i think he new it hurts he must of been done in the past as he,s a rescue dog and been abused beaten kicked etc as a pup he only trusts me last time he attacked a woman in vets waiting room and the vet 3 times lol i think thats why the vet fobbed me of and told me to muzzle him as he,s scarred for life the vet said but me as the owner he told me i would be best to do it as he would have to sedate etc and not good for a little dog i even had his nuts done to calm him down it has worked but no 100% calm hes had me my sister postman a few times my cousin he,s only little but a very angry dog but slowly with respect for him he,s trusting me more and more i love him to bits and reward him when hes good but let him know i,am the boss so to speak and we make a good team together . Hes learning fast and funny with it n do anything for a slice of chicken lol