Which Welder

Mike Hill

Mig welders are excelent for what they are ment for and that is thin steel(tin), alot quicker because you have no cleaning of welds , but the down side is the metal being welded needs to be clean and rust free otherwise forget it.

If you already have a stick welder then get a mig, I have only ever seen tig welding done on Aluminum so can`t comment on that one.

Make sure as others have said that the mig uses gas and argon is the best.

If you want to play then get the gas out , a nice way to weld but i find it time consuming but i havn`t done much of it.

We have all three and i will go to the mig first 90% of the time.

Naaah

It’s true that mig doesn’t get the penetration that arc welding can but I have a 450 amp set that will weld up to 25mm with ease.

The gas needs to be an argon mix. Argon is used for TIG welding mainly on non ferrous. If you are only doing occasional bits of thin gear pub gas will save you a fortune on bottle rental. BOC are gougers. They even charge to bring the cylinder to the edge of the loading bay for you.

One thing you do need to do is keep the wire free from rust. Bad wire will stop a mig in it’s tracks in short order. The wire will rust from ambient moisture so if you are not going to use the welder for a while bag the reel up (with some silica gell if you have it) or take it off and store it someplace warm and dry.

My recommendation is the cebora 130. Whatever badge it is wearing. Reliable machine with good back up and readily available spares.

As your not far from Denmark & they are a quality welder look out for a migatronic, I have a 250A 240v single phase one which dose stuff from <1mm to >12mm with ease & has a good duty cycle (145A @ 100%, 185A @ 60%, 250A @ 25%)

However as they are built well for industrial/trade applications they are a good machine to buy used of e.g. ebay