I'D Or Eddy

Marc

I want to make myself a simple SRT kit and am unsure what decender to go for, just wondering if anyone is familiar with both the Petzl I'D or Elderid Eddy.

I want to keep the system light and simple so i've also been considering the suitability of the Trango Cinch or Petzl Gri Gri in a RADS set-up, i've used the Cinch and it does work well, its cheaper and lighter than both the i'd or eddy.

Any opinions?

i have all the descenders other mentioned and a couple more other than the edelrid

the big plus for the id is its fail to safe and lock off

its down side is the cost size and weight if i was planning on just using it for decent i would use anything but if i was planning on working from it or lots of stop starts i would use the id

My brother and I have both been using Eddy's in RADS and it works well.

The Eddy can be used to limb walk. The I'd is very difficult to slack rope out with out having the rope tensioned. The cam of the Eddy can be thumbed to allow a smooth limb walk in just the same manner as giving slack to a lead climber.

The lever on the Eddy can be used in either push or pull to allow the climber to descend. The panic stop works really well too.

For compact and ease of use the Eddy is way better than the I'd.

• 2 weeks later...
pardon my ignorance but RADS????

i think its Rope Access Descent System. it enables you too ascend and descend on a single line. uses a Handled ascender with apulley on it, foot loop off the ascender and a mechanical device such as a grigri, id or eddy. You slide the ascender up and stand inthe footloop, rope that runs through the ascender then goes to id (attached to harness), and up to the pulley on the ascender to create a 2/1 system. Pull the rope through and then sit on the id. Then slide ascender up and start again. how confusing is that without pictures!!

Well i've got an eddy and black diamond ascendor, now all i need is static line, its the future i tell ya!

http://www.newtribe.com/documents/tip4.htm

Yep I like the idea and really want to try it. I tried to coble together one with a pully and a distel insted of a Grigri, Asecnding is cool, but you need to be able to go down to.

Yep I like the idea and really want to try it. I tried to coble together one with a pully and a distel insted of a Grigri, Asecnding is cool, but you need to be able to go down to.

Replace the ascender with a shunt. tie a piece of cord from the shunt eye to the descender and it will auto descend with you. nicked that idea from Tom Dunlap on treebuzz. bloody good idea imo.