i,am confused about chainsaws

predator

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the above post. A chainsaw throttle has only two positions, flat out and idle. Anything else will shorten it's life.

well i,am 48 yo and even at school age used my dads stuff petrol cutters etc and these days chainsaws and never had a piston/engine failure yet i just rev enough to cut the wood and it works for me just tickling through my firewood as i dont fell big trees etc thats for the exsperts suppose thats why my saws are never in bits worn out etc as i dont use them to there full wack my fuel lasts ages i refill oil every second tank of fuel and the odd file up after snagging on a odd nail stone that a treestump has eaten

Well i got a 2008 ms260 but after using a ms250 it feels really soft n squidgy as the mounts seem very soft or is it me use to the ms250 as that was solid so to speak i could feel every cutter working lol good saw though but the ms260 is a breed apart after using it but only time will tell i was told the ms250 only has a little oil pump and it was on a 18" bar so i thought it was,nt getting enough oil etc

I have a 2009 MS260, bought it used, cheaps.

I too thought it was squishy! so much so I fitted new AV rubbers.

It didn't make much difference!

suppose thats why my saws are never in bits worn out etc as i dont use them to there full wack my fuel lasts ages i refill oil every second tank of fuel and the odd file up after snagging on a odd nail stone that a treestump has eaten

That would suggest you are using lots of fuel? as I need to refill oil tanks on every tank of fuel on all my saws.

Take it from me as a Stihl trained horticultural mechanic, run the machine at full throttle when cutting.

Have a read of a Stihl Chainsaw owners manual, very informative when it comes to cutting and machine use.

MY THINKING GOES LIKE THIS AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME IF I HAVE A OLD SECONDHAND CAR/BIKE/CHAINSAW OR WHATEVER DONT CLOG IT TO DEATH OR IT WILL BREAK AND AS FOR ANYONE SELLING ETC SAWS ETC sorry caps

They will tell you to run at full chat as it will cut faster work harder etc etc even builders i know who have hired bought new stone saws have trouble with piston damage etc all told to run at full chat again .As upto know i aint had a engine failure ever but i,ve done a few up for friends at there cost clogged to death etc can i just add too i use a semi synpathetic oil and always temted to add a tad more the the recomended 100mm to a gall so to speak maybee i,ve been very very lucky upto now etc thanks guys anyway for you advice and have taken it all on board and will mull it over it just scares me to run a engine at full chat and get it all hot n bothered lol