Tennis elbow....

Pete Hart

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lockjack or Spiderjack with a Pantin will reduce the stresses more than any other DRT system.

Also consider SRT systems. I've never tried it but it looks brilliantly easy.

Plenty of threads on the climbers forum.

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care
Adding the last line.

If im honest the thought of getting my elbow injected is my worst nightmare - girly i know but my one and only phobia is needles and injections - had to be hypnotised before getting my jabs for my holidays two years ago!!!

Physio and rest it is... oh and a new friction device for climbing

Ditto, can't stand the thought of needles, doctor wanted some blood out of me 2 weeks ago, i said no way, I don't know what would happen to me if i was seriously ill and had to have injections, I'd rather have a bang on the shin bone with a lump hammer.

As other people say, rest is the the key.

Have suffered the same, tried injections, straps, physio and then went to a registered GP who does acupuncture, 10 sessions later and much better. And you don't feel any pain it almost becomes addictive and your well being increases.

Combined with rest and the concerted effort of not tight gripping and twisting where ever possible aids recovery.

I couldn't squeeze the fuel pump knozzle in my right hand for months it was that bad.

Go to the uk climbing website and do a search through their articles on rehabilitation of elbow injuries.

I have 1 in mind that involves a broom handle weighted with small dumbells that really helped a lot of climbers.

As well as this I recommend learning about when to apply heat/ice to injuries, stretching before & after work (even 5 mins!!) and taking it easyish although a physio will tell you that you need to keep using the affected area to avoid the build up of scar tissue. A difficult thing to do in my experience.

There is a lot we can do to help ourselves but it involves being very disciplined (hard at the end of a long day) and you will find a lot of useful info by spending time researching on the web.

after using this forum for the last 2 years im happy to add my input i hope it helps.

all the previous advice is great. the epicondyle straps are good. rest and ice are important. the elbow is susseptable to strain because most of the small muscles which control movment at the wrist attach to a small insertions at the elbow. outside for tennis elbow and inside for golfer elbow.

but after 9 years practicing as an osteopath the elbow is often the symptom for a problem at the wrist, forearm and neck. the elbow is not good at adjusting for a slight change in function. so if the wrist is stiff or over worked the elbow has to work harder, which it doesn't like. most of the time there is a tightness/ restriction around the shoulder girdle which again makes the elbow work harder. to resolve these issues an osteopath can help but its also knowing that we have to think about these other areas when working or on the computer etc.

my first aid would consist of ice on the elbow and heat on the forearm muscles. a long term problem, acupuncture is great for treatment on the elbow to stimulate a chronic situation.

a good physio, osteopath chiropractor can keep you at work. you will know who is good because its a common injury and colleagues will refer if the practitioner can help.

hope this helps and if you are reading this post on a laptop which is on your lap and youve been on it a while then know wonder your elbows/neck are aching. ;)

What is it that causes TE? I mean is it more to do with clenching your hands for gripping or is it to do with moving your arm by the elbow joint?

I hope that makes some sense to someone who can advise how to prevent it rather than cure(Although I have had quite a bit of pain in both elbows over time but it goes and comes randomly)