Arctic load of larch.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain saw mills can take it providing they have good bio security measures in place, FERA have said that it can be sold as firewood providing it's taken off site in sealed trucks. Once the tree is felled the disease is dead. It broke my heart last year to fell and burn about twenty ton of ash which was in a deseased area, mind you what a fire it was.

theres acres and acres around me that just seem to be sitting there having been felled in the summer - maybe just waiting for extraction but hasnt even been brashed up.

i was subbing for a local company back in feb/march of this year and felled thousands of diseased larch down cimla and bryn,we were just felling and leaving[not snedding]the contract for extraction was tendered out to other companies:blushing:

Once the tree is felled the disease is dead.

If this is so and I am presuming by 'dead' you mean it can no longer be transmitted :confused1: all suitable larch should be converted to fence posts etc, as it lasts longer than the pressure treated rubbish available at the mo.

Surely a 'green' option.

I'd be interested to know what you want for a cm3, I've got a contract with FC Wales but in all honesty it's to time consuming to extract myself in the quantities I get but I've got a fixed rate with them. I'd be looking for delivery to Chepstow.

Sorry for the interjection DT, what part of SW are you.

Dunno yet, will invite offers when roadside. Would have to arrange your own haulage (I think).

I was under the impresion that a lot of larch being felled here was being felled to waste due to phytoph? and not leaving site

Only very tricky extractions would normally justify cut to waste, diseased or not. Unless the timber is v small? Around here, level areas of 10 y/o larch were just mulched. P.Ramorum is not an issue re extraction and market other than the bio-security measures, bark removal at licensed site (and subsequent incineration of the same) and licensed xport and end user. Obviously it fetches lower money and typically winds up as chip for power gen.

Certain saw mills can take it providing they have good bio security measures in place, FERA have said that it can be sold as firewood providing it's taken off site in sealed trucks. Once the tree is felled the disease is dead. It broke my heart last year to fell and burn about twenty ton of ash which was in a deseased area, mind you what a fire it was.

Ouch. Not heard about firewood being in sealed trucks :confused1: what happens when the truck opens? Sporulation in July/Aug is the issue and often dictates the felling deadlines

theres acres and acres around me that just seem to be sitting there having been felled in the summer - maybe just waiting for extraction but hasnt even been brashed up.

FC deadines; a site we were on had another contractor do that; just rained it down. Glad we weren't forwarding it! What a mess!

i was subbing for a local company back in feb/march of this year and felled thousands of diseased larch down cimla and bryn,we were just felling and leaving[not snedding]the contract for extraction was tendered out to other companies:blushing:

Lucky them! I would hate to extract a man made blow-down site. I tell a lie, we dropped maybe 100 trees at the end of the job all higgledy-piggledy; winched them up the hill and converted them at the top - I was away, my poor mate Reuben had that job!

If this is so and I am presuming by 'dead' you mean it can no longer be transmitted :confused1: all suitable larch should be converted to fence posts etc, as it lasts longer than the pressure treated rubbish available at the mo.

Surely a 'green' option.

True, much prefer to tanalised stuff. Cutting fencing is a ball-ache tho, multiple specs i.e sawlogs, bars, chip and fencing all in one tree; puts the harvesting cost up and production down.