Climbing kit

Tom Wilding

Anyone know of the going cost of a kit, need to start climbing, but gotta buy my own kit :l

Try the site sponsors on the right hand side of this page, I'm sure they'll happily put together a 'basic starter kit' for you, or at least be able to give you a price if you're not sure what you need.

Try the site sponsors on the right hand side of this page, I'm sure they'll happily put together a 'basic starter kit' for you, or at least be able to give you a price if you're not sure what you need.

That's what to do and the other option is there is someone on Ebay selling kits just now, and they don't look to bad for the money.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

You need to decide HOW you're going to climb first.. SRT or DdRT...

DdRT is the cheapest way up a tree, you can get up with just a rope and a harness.

Expand this with a split tail to save the end of your climbing rope, a cambium saver, a couple of crabs so you can get off without having to de-rig, another crab, micro-pulley & length of prussic to auto tend, length of cord as a foot loop.... add in an ascender to speed up advancing your footloop...

Don't forget throwline & weight too!

Harness & climbing rope will be your biggest expense, everything else is cheap in comparison....

The Honey Bros lanyard kits are good and quite reasonably priced and you'll need another attachment point if you're cutting anyway.

Spurs will be your next big expense, although mine cost just 90 quid from a guy selling them locally via eBay...

I have a pretty cheap kit but I daren't add up the cost... I would like to upgrade a few things, I like the look of the new Harkie harness and the ali spikes. Rope wise I'm happy on Aeris.

I have a spreadsheet which I input all the suppliers costs into and add them all up to see who will be the cheapest for whatever bundle I'm buying. It's an interesting exercise!

The other thing to factor in is VAT...

Thats a good point :) aha, it just costs so much!

Lucky for nhs! Your hospital bill would cost too much!

Get someone to teach you, if no one will do your 38!

Simple!

You'll need it eventually!

As for kit, after some training you'll know what to buy within your budget and can price compare away to your hearts content!

Don't be cheap with your life bro!!