Thurrock Council broke my windscreen strimming and refuse to pay!!

Simonsnr

Best thing is save "us" all the cost of paying all the claims and the cost of mowing grass and let everyone mow their own bit of grass outside their house or communal area. :001_smile:

Or, the muppet who merrily throws stones up while they're strimming tight to the floor - because let's be honest here, it's unlikely that a stone big enough to smash a window would be 'floating' a couple of inches off the ground in grass - get's the 60 quid taken out of his pay packet and he learns to be more careful in future. That would save our money. Sort of.... :001_huh:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like they sent you their generic risk assessment. What would be interesting to see is their site specific. I bet they did not do one and that would be unequivocal evidence of neglect. Sorry to bang on about risk assessments but that seems to be what they are basing their 'not negligent' claim on, so that is what you have to challenge. If they are awkward about showing you any paperwork, just send a letter quoting the freedom of information act and they will be quaking in their boots

Or, the muppet who merrily throws stones up while they're strimming tight to the floor - because let's be honest here, it's unlikely that a stone big enough to smash a window would be 'floating' a couple of inches off the ground in grass - get's the 60 quid taken out of his pay packet and he learns to be more careful in future. That would save our money. Sort of.... :001_huh:

The "muppet" was only doing his job. :001_smile:

The "muppet" was only doing his job. :001_smile:

OK Dean, you obviously have something on your chest... did you smash Simon's window....? :001_huh::lol:

I accept that he was only doing his job. It was also just an accident. But, as it was also not in any way Simon's fault any damage caused, accidental or otherwise, should be made good by whoever caused it, or their employer.

This isn't someone demanding oodles of compensation merely for having scraped the bottom of the gene pool and still not grasping the concept of looking where they're going.... This is just someone who rightly wants damage done to his property put right by the party who inflicted said damage.

It's not going to bankrupt the country.... it's just the right thing to do and EXACTLY what we would have to do if we smashed a window in the course of our work. Why should the council be exempt from responsibility for their actions and mistakes... or act of god or whatever they want to call it?

No breaking a window isn't exactly 'good', but it doesn't matter if you do (with a Zuric policy) I bet Kermit wouldn't do any better.....or perhaps?

It's certainly isn't about compensation, If it was I would have pointed out the fact that I had to leave sight to get home in time to take my car to autoglass's depo (yeah, they didnt have anyone until the next afternoon that could come out to me, and so had to go back on a seperate day to finish the job off) Not to mention the fact that I had to sit for over two hours while it was fitted! It's purely and utterly about the PRINCIPLE. Plain and simple, they shouldn't get away with it just because they are a council, we all sure as hell know we wouldn't!

Edited by Simonsnr

I am new to this thread realy,but sod it ,the window got broke,so the perp should pay for it,simples,& if they dont want to you either persue it or turn the other cheek.

The man who done the deed is (I would imagine)employed by the relevent council,strimming has its potential to do damage,they would have third party cover,at least,so make them use it!:001_smile:

No breaking a window isn't exactly 'good', but it doesn't matter if you do (with a Zuric policy) I bet Kermit wouldn't do any better.....or perhaps?

Even if their insurance does not cover it (which I very much doubt) they are still liable.