Whats wrong with oak in a wood burner

gensetsteve

HI hodge thats looks a good fire there hodge :thumbup1: our stove is going well on oak now but you need a base in the stove and its very dry oak :thumb up:jon snow next week :lol:

Hi Jon, we have got snow here now mate, but I'm toasty with the burner. All the best, hodge.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the only problem with oak is that it holds its shape as it burns, it won't drop down onto the embers and stays in a lump. I was burning pure dead oak from a big council job we did earlier this year, it was all deadwood removed from big mature trees, I burned it straight off the job and it was excellent. I think the trick is to split it a bit smaller than you would other species.

I think the only problem with oak is that it holds its shape as it burns, it won't drop down onto the embers and stays in a lump. I was burning pure dead oak from a big council job we did earlier this year, it was all deadwood removed from big mature trees, I burned it straight off the job and it was excellent. I think the trick is to split it a bit smaller than you would other species.

HI tom your right mate split it smaller :thumb up:jon :thumbup:

Jon, it's an Esse W23. Very good with the right wood but a bit fussy to be honest. I love it most of the time but it's fussy.

The ember bed is probably the key. I looked at the fire about an hour after I took that snap and the sycamore had disintegrated into embers about maybe an inch or less square. The lump of oak was still a lump. It was hotter than the sun but that's what happens with oak. It sits there and everything around it goes cold. I prodded it and it fell to bits but it didn't do it on it's own. If you moniter a lump of oak it just reduces over time.

Needs chopping into small chunks or mixing with a good ember bed wood like Sycamore or Ash etc.

I have never had much luck with oak in our wood burner seems to get half way turn black and sit there in the way. Do others find the same ? I am sure its extremely dry as it was even dead standing. The ash and beech tonight bright and mega hot just diappointed in the oak.

OAK is great if used correctly, i think of it not as a standard burning log but as a qualaty commodity, i cook and heat my house on wood with a range of stoves, by the way we are the only house around here which has the windows open in winter and we only ever where pants in the house as its too hot, even in the summer we burn wood, hot hot hot i love it, so i know my wood, oak is a good night log, it will love you and still be there in the morning, not rouring hot but smoldering, ready to fire up once you open the vents, i love oak:thumbup: hope you like that gensetsteve

OAK is great if used correctly, i think of it not as a standard burning log but as a qualaty commodity, i cook and heat my house on wood with a range of stoves, by the way we are the only house around here which has the windows open in winter and we only ever where pants in the house as its too hot, even in the summer we burn wood, hot hot hot i love it, so i know my wood, oak is a good night log, it will love you and still be there in the morning, not rouring hot but smoldering, ready to fire up once you open the vents, i love oak:thumbup: hope you like that gensetsteve

I am going to try harder to love oak :thumbup: I think part of the problem is 13" wide log burner so you cant get 2 logs in at once. I may cut logs down to 5" if I get time.