HELP HELP replanting problem !!!

Mikelawn

:thumbup:

hello, i need some advice. i have to quote on a massive contract and worth alot of money but there is one thing im not to sure about. the customer wants all hedge row ( which consists of hawthorne and saplings e.g ash, oak ) keeping BUT wants us to dig it all up using tree spades ect and replant it in another location. then after the work is completed on the site that we have took them from, we then have to dig them back up and put them in the orginal place. sounds mad but this is what they want. the time scale from moving them from original place - temporary - back to original place would be about a year. can any one advise me about this as its a strange one and would be greatful for any help.

my thoughts are that the hedge row roots are all interlinked so would have to do it in sections which would mean cutting some main roots but would shock them even more. i personally think its more hassel than its worth and there is a hugh chance it all not surviving. i have said this to them and told them that it would be cheaper and far easier to just replant but thats not a option to them. :-s any advive people would be brilliant on if would survive or way to go around it ?

ok will try it this way,there are not going to be many companys quoting for this,put in place a good caveat, tell them up front how many trees will servive,ie 25% to 50% or what you think, but buff up how you will deal with the losses, tell them you will replant with, NUMBER CRUNCH THEM!!! say 500 wips wat ever, they dont know what or how much a wip is but you do, use your knowlage.

IMO this job based on the specs listed is really a whopper!

I could not begin to try to price a job like this and even if your plant material did survive which I believe most would not, I would find it difficult to believe you could possible profit from such a job. I believe you would do yourself better and decline this offer and move on to greener pastures.

easy-lift guy

How about suggesting that the hedge is replaced at the end of the contract with a new insta hedge, these are grown in 1m long troughs, they do a native mix that you can purchase at 2m high.

Instant Hedges | Instant Hedging | Evergreen Hedge | Green Screen

InstaHedge projects | Hedges, boundary solutions and fencing

If you explain the cost of digging up and maintaining the plants for a year, replanting, then maintaining them, plus the failure rate will add up to quite a sum.

The idea of spending on a new hedge that is already mature might be the better option. ( we have done several of these hedges, they average about £ 100 - £ 120 per m )

People are trying to save costs all the time, especially in the construction game, but they sometimes need to be educated, what they feel will be a saving is actually going to end up costing the same or more.

I had one client recentley who wanted us to lift and store the turf from a school playing field for 8 months whilst they built an extension, when I explained to him the logisitcs of it and the probable double cost to new turf at the end of the job he soon changed his mind.:001_smile: