Rope Wrench feedback

Ian, on this type of work on dodgy grown-out pollard heads (usually pops), would you say the RW can increase the safety aspect? 5 anchors sound a lot better than 1 in these situations!

Very much so Mark, this is the thing i love the most about SRT it allows me to create new anchor/re-directs and change my line bend to vertical for working again rather than a long 45 degree angle from one point. That and the no more moaning about the friction in my lines. But in all honesty im still very much loving using the RW, this week i moved to the HC/RW setup and cannot see myself on most jobs going back. :thumbup1: BUY ONE! Shinny, Shinny,

Ok quick n00b question. Say I have my TIP. I want to ascend up a vertical stem some way away from the TIP, (using DRT I would find it easy), how would you ascend? When you have to use both feet for balance say. Hand over hand 1:1? Thats full body weight, not 2:1 in DRT obviously :)

Ascending in mid air is obviously easy, with the pantin etc. Just cant get me head around this.

Ian, on this type of work on dodgy grown-out pollard heads (usually pops), would you say the RW can increase the safety aspect? 5 anchors sound a lot better than 1 in these situations!

I'd certainly agree with that. The other day I was looking at a lapsed sycamore pollard. I was thinking, crikey, that has a hundred skinny stems all the same height. That means two DRT lines, redirect pulleys and a major hassle. Or SRT 'draped' over the top of the three middle stems, no friction, SO easy and very safe.

Ian, I'm right with you on the redirect thing. I've always been keen on using redirects to get a better angle on the rope and improve safety but always hated the fiddly double pulley installation, especially when cold and wet or in a hurry. Just putting a sling and karabiner over a branch and carrying on is so much easier.

Love it! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ok quick n00b question. Say I have my TIP. I want to ascend up a vertical stem some way away from the TIP, (using DRT I would find it easy), how would you ascend? When you have to use both feet for balance say. Hand over hand 1:1? Thats full body weight, not 2:1 in DRT obviously :)

Ascending in mid air is obviously easy, with the pantin etc. Just cant get me head around this.

In either SRT or D'dRT I strongly believe you want to avoid relying solely on upper body strength to thrust or hand over hand, you need to kind of use your body to lever using your hands to balance and take in slack not pull yourself up. It seems SRT forces you to do this and make changes to your climbing.

Still I like the benefit of being able to call upon 2:1 i can also see why srt has appeal.