sycamore roots causing subsidence

robertsonstreecare

Question

i recently visited a client who explained to me that they have been experiencing what they believe to be root problems causing damage to their house. the cause is potentially a large sycamore tree which stands approximately 5 metres from the house. the question she asked me is could i prove that the roots were the cause of the problem? the tree is protected and the council require proof of root damage before they will consider removing the tree. i advised her that without any excavation work all i could say was that due to the size (height 50 feet, crown spread 40 feet) and the proximity to the building that it was very possible the tree could be causing the problem but i am not sure how this could be proved?? any advice would be welcome!!

also may be significant the house actually stands about 10 metres from the tree but they added a conservatory about 5 years ago which is now 5 metres from the butt. the roots at the butt are also raised in a mound, but not protruding through the grass.

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have a case like this just now.

The home owner wishes to reportage, the mortgage providers surveyor says the tree is causing movement. The TO says they need to prove the tree is causing the movement.

So the client need to prove to the lender that the tree is not moving the house or prove to the TO that it is. This will be very difficult and costly.

So I asked the TO what mitigation he wood want for us to remove the tree without any reason. He suggested the planting of 20 trees elsewhere on site.

This will be cheaper and simpler, IMO.

I had similar problems with sycamore, the roots were following various culverts and drains which exist around my house. The drains were there for blood drainage from when my house was a slaugherhouse. I couldn't remove the tree but I did remove the roots.

In all 5 cases of cctv evidance supplied on root ingress the tree's were removed! 100% sucess i would say. It is down to the approach you take with the council, if you can prove the problem you exists they are more than happy to work with you.

It is not always easy to just replacing the drains.

No it isn’t, many authorities would say prove the root is from that tree then prove the root broke the drain and isn’t just exploiting a leak in a damaged system, 5 cases in one area is hardly a national trend, in any case this topic is about subsidence, there is a whole branch of arb grown around tree related subsidence.

It is unwise for a home owner to DIY a subsidence issue, if you don’t involve your insurer and your actions or inactions cause them increased expense they may not cover you for the full amount insured.

You can only temporarially remove roots they will always find a easy water source again and concentrate root groth in that area, the only way to stop this is to remove the tree.

Council's appreciate this train of thought and will allow removal of a protected tree if you provide them with evidence to prove your case.

However if you go to them with all guns blazing demanding removal of a tree they will dig thier heels in and make you fight. Its all about the right approach!!.

You can only temporarially remove roots they will always find a easy water source again and concentrate root groth in that area, the only way to stop this is to remove the tree.

Council's appreciate this train of thought and will allow removal of a protected tree if you provide them with evidence to prove your case.

However if you go to them with all guns blazing demanding removal of a tree they will dig thier heels in and make you fight. Its all about the right approach!!.

No it isnt

Ha Ha you have alot to learn about the drainage industry son

Well Dad (patronising arse), I don’t think there is a lot to learn about the drainage industry, it’s largely water flowing though pipes under gravity.

There is a fair bit to know about trees and their morphology although a closed mind like yours clearly isn’t going to even look at it.