Beginner looking for saw and advice

Italiastar

I have used chainsaws for 20+ years with no formal training, notably a good many years chopping firewood with my Dad as a teenager with a Pro-Mac 650 fitted with a 20" bar. Looking back, attention to safety was poor as was health - it used to kill my back after a few hours' use.

I now cut firewood with a oft-maligned Stihl MS260 fitted with a 15" bar & .325 chain. It weighs nothing, can be used for hours without a twinge and is remarkably capable - easy to start, utterly reliable and underrated in my humble opinion.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would second all of the advice offered here by professional users: buy a reputable powerhead - that should be with you for a long time, opt for the shortest bar that will fulfill your needs, buy good quality trousers/helmet and boots, and buy a decent book - Amazon predictably offer a multitude, a few of which are well reviewed. The book should illustrate how to hold the saw securely, best practice cutting techniques, body position for task, etc. The manual will likely cover this too, but the black and white cartoons aren't always quite as clear as they could be.

A sharp chain also makes for a safer saw - when it cuts of it's own accord and you don't have to fight it through the cut... Well worth considering one of the filing jigs that guide a handfile to give the right tooth profile, or you could splash out on one of the guided 12v chain tooth grinders, as sold by Rob D through this forum for example.

Cheers,

AndrewS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also a relative newbie at chainsaws but old enough to be cautious about dangers to me. I looked at heaps of chainsaw how-to vids, read the manual and chatted on here.

My final decision was a stihl 250.. one the grounds that i have no need to prove how matcho I am with a heavier saw for my general firewood cutting and ocassional other stuff.

I bought the full protective kit of boots, trousers, sleeves, gloves and helmet and foudn a mate familiar with chainsaws to give me an overview, help set it up and check chain tensions etc.

It takes a 14 or 18 inch bar with the 14 being my workhorse..so two chains for that so I can send one away if necessary.

I'm anal about pre-use checks and post use cleanup and use it about three to four times a week to cut a couple of stacks of thinner stuff and slice up a few thicker logs for ax splitting.

I was pleased to fine it was easier to use than I expected although it also makes one appreciate how much a bigger saw could kick and buck if you got slack or unlucky.

Definately a piece of kit to take seriously.

Perhaps tghe biggest suprise was how fast it gets through a tank of fuel

Thank you all for your excellent advice. My only experience of chainsaws is the electric one I've used, which is a very good electrical one, and one I'd continue to use, but the oiling mechanism has failed and I can't get parts. My only other experience was in Italy where I've watched people use large professional chainsaws with no more protection than a cotton t-shirt! - I certainly don't want to emulate them. I think a trip to FR Jones is called for. Thank you, just need to find a good supply of wood now.

... which is a very good electrical one, and one I'd continue to use, but the oiling mechanism has failed and I can't get parts.

How are you going to use the saw, if the oil pump doesn't work? By manually oiling the chain every minute :confused1:

I know I'm going to get slated for saying this. But do some of you not think your going abit OTT with PPE here? Your more than likely to be cutting wood to save some money, so who go out and buy trousers when some crappy chaps would do fine. Do you really need boots? I mean if your using a saw horse what is the chance your going to drop a saw onto your foot? Finally, I'd do with some ear defenders and some glasses, but a helmet seems like overkill. Nothing is going to drop onto your head, and even in the highly unlikely case of a bit of kickback of a saw horse a plastic helmet isn't going to help you...

Anyway, it's just my opinion. I think you would be better of spending the money on getting some training than trying to look like a model out of the stihl catologue.

I know I'm going to get slated for saying this. But do some of you not think your going abit OTT with PPE here? Your more than likely to be cutting wood to save some money, so who go out and buy trousers when some crappy chaps would do fine. Do you really need boots? I mean if your using a saw horse what is the chance your going to drop a saw onto your foot? Finally, I'd do with some ear defenders and some glasses, but a helmet seems like overkill. Nothing is going to drop onto your head, and even in the highly unlikely case of a bit of kickback of a saw horse a plastic helmet isn't going to help you...

Anyway, it's just my opinion. I think you would be better of spending the money on getting some training than trying to look like a model out of the stihl catologue.

I can't speak for the others but I've got big lumps to dice as well as saw horse and general work around the farm....and i prefer the cost of the PPE to the alternative..

Or i could do it all with a mankini and the polesaw:biggrin:

For 1-3 days yr, a sthill ms 170 or 180 would be adequate, smaller bar is easier on groundwork and small felling ok, I personally find a bar over 15" is clumsy on the ground for logging up smaller stuff or brashing.

All advice (serious!) is good, especially training and maintenance, Go for it!

PS, Was working for a guy who had an MS 170 (not profesional), and he kept raving about how much he liked it, kept quiet as I love my Husky.