Veterans of Bristol

sean

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew as soon as i saw those ash that you would love them......:001_smile:

Im going to plant an ash to pollard in the garden this winter, an oak and a beech too, going to provide my fire wood needs and add to the ecology of my garden nicely.

should add interest for the workshops I intend to run here some day too:thumbup1:

• 2 years later...

Bristol has a fine collection of veteran trees. It has the the obvious ones in places such as Ashton Court, Leigh Woods and Blaise Castle. But it also has lone Veterans dotted around the city.....collections of gnarly oaks in small patches of former parkland which are now golf courses. There are patches of urban woodlands with solitary old pollards, rows of boundary Oaks and Ash of 4 and 5 mtr girths. I have been out and about looking for some hidden/forgotten gems. In the last month or so I have measured and recorded around 20 trees not yet appearing on the Ancient Tree Hunts database.

Some of these trees would benefit from management plans and I am in the process of passing on my info, ideas to various organisations and Councils.:001_smile:

The following photos are of an old Oak pollard located just off the Bristol to Bath cycle path. Like alot of veteran trees i come across this tree has been subjected to extensive fire damage. There is encroachment into the crown from neighbouring Hawthorn, Sycamore and Ash. It is in danger of comple or partial collapse due to excessively heavy limbs supported by a hollow trunk.

I would propose endweight reduction on a couple of limbs and a 2 or 3 stage haloing program. As for future fire damage....i dunno. All i know is that i am sick of seeing these precious trees from being wantonly vandalised....i guess the answer is to get into the schools as much as possible and really drum it in and EDUCATE THE KIDS.:001_smile:

IMG_9489.jpg.ea41bb11705d1b68dcd148419e937789.jpg

IMG_9486.jpg.1f89dd622d4f2bfdb64123b5634ee348.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg.60eef1af75adf0c48a1b301db0cb617d.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg.52a7e21f173dd11a0d6ec125f0013a7f.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg.7ddc9ba7a5a63d0844d8b797eb705b6d.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg.831a65ac031412d63a0323dbc45d67a3.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg.8d358926f1d6a9cca4175fee1185e249.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg.a4a241d83aa824340ab8ec15fa9b9126.jpg

Speaking of nice trees in the area.

There's 2 Golden Oak's in Keynsham Memorial Park as well as a Swamp Cypress.

Keynsham cemetery also has a collection of nice trees including a 125 ish year old Monkey Puzzle.

cool....cheers for the heads up.....will go take a look some time:thumbup1: