Chainsaw beginner - can't get Husq going after refuel

ATC1983

As a domestic user I sympathise with the OP, but to visit these forums and ask a question is pretty daunting, so well done him. I think though that you will see more similar posts in the future, or hear of more injuries due if nothing else to the increasing number of wood burners getting sold. I doubt I'm not unusual in that the saw is my first small engine and these things are not so intuitive to people without mechanical experience.

When I got my little husky I was given the basics on fuel, oil, starting etc, but really I was on my own. I asked on here and a member kindly gave me more advice.

I think there's an opportunity for someone to offer 'training' for a couple of hours to half a day for weekend saw users like myself. I'm thinking just basic maintenance and safety. A bit of know your limits wouldn't go amiss either! It could perhaps make a little money during quiet spells but I expect liability law would scupper this idea before it could start.

I think it's criminally irresponsible that DIY sheds sell saws but no ppe and no proper advice. Manuals in 'Chinese-English' don't really help either. I guess it's only a matter of time before somebody does something serious.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use Husky low smoke, Stihl bio or Aspen 2 stroke oil...and don't get your petrol from Tesco's. My Husky 357XP is suffering from a couple of tanks of regular Stihl 2 stroke at the mo :(

whats wrong with tesco petrol? i use it all the time and dont have any problems with my saws. I just stick 5litres in the combi can in the morning and the rest in the car and i spend less than going to any of the big name petrol stations that imo sell the same stuff.

As a domestic user I sympathise with the OP, but to visit these forums and ask a question is pretty daunting, so well done him. I think though that you will see more similar posts in the future, or hear of more injuries due if nothing else to the increasing number of wood burners getting sold. I doubt I'm not unusual in that the saw is my first small engine and these things are not so intuitive to people without mechanical experience.

When I got my little husky I was given the basics on fuel, oil, starting etc, but really I was on my own. I asked on here and a member kindly gave me more advice.

I think there's an opportunity for someone to offer 'training' for a couple of hours to half a day for weekend saw users like myself. I'm thinking just basic maintenance and safety. A bit of know your limits wouldn't go amiss either! It could perhaps make a little money during quiet spells but I expect liability law would scupper this idea before it could start.

I think it's criminally irresponsible that DIY sheds sell saws but no ppe and no proper advice. Manuals in 'Chinese-English' don't really help either. I guess it's only a matter of time before somebody does something serious.

Great post:thumbup1:

whats wrong with tesco petrol? i use it all the time and dont have any problems with my saws. I just stick 5litres in the combi can in the morning and the rest in the car and i spend less than going to any of the big name petrol stations that imo sell the same stuff.

Dunno the science bit,but just bought a m/cycle & was advised to stay away from supermarket pumps,and the saws I run are a lot better on aspen than they ever were on predominantly s/market pump fuel.:001_smile:

As others have already advised, using Aspen 2 would have totally avoided this problem and although initially more expensive would have saved you so much money from all this messing about and maybe even damaging your saw.

think smart, sometimes spending more, saves you money. (if that makes sense???)

Why? do saws run happily on Aspen mixed with bar oil?:sneaky2:

Aspen is the way forward for the ocasional user:thumbup1:, but would not have avoided this issue.

Why? do saws run happily on Aspen mixed with bar oil?:sneaky2:

Aspen is the way forward for the ocasional user:thumbup1:, but would not have avoided this issue.

As Aspen need not be mixed with anything, and so avoids any problems with mixing with the wrong thing as well as getting the mixing ratio wrong, it clearly reduces the risk of getting things wrong (in addition to the fuel degradation issue).

But I agree, that it does not prevent someone from filling up the fuel tank with bar oil, and filling up the oil tank with fuel (mixed or not) :lol:

as the OP didnt know what to put in his tank its hard to see how aspen would have helped - he could have just as easily used standard mix at 50-1 and also been fine

the issue came from using bar oil instead of petrol - talking of which I once had a minion fill up a strimmer with parafin (well hey its red so it must be mix, right :lol: ) rather more suprisingly it started and ran , though the huge clouds of white smoke were a bit of a clue that something wasnt right.

Personally I dont buy the ' fall down and worship aspen - fuel of the future' hype , IMO if its going to replace mainstream mix as a most people fuel of choice they need to get the price down , because paying nearly twice as much per litre to avoid the everso difficult task of mixing 100ml of 2 stroke with 5L of petrol doesnt look like a good use of resourses from where i'm standing.

as the OP didnt know what to put in his tank its hard to see how aspen would have helped - he could have just as easily used standard mix at 50-1 and also been fine

the issue came from using bar oil instead of petrol - talking of which I once had a minion fill up a strimmer with parafin (well hey its red so it must be mix, right :lol: ) rather more suprisingly it started and ran , though the huge clouds of white smoke were a bit of a clue that something wasnt right.

Personally I dont buy the ' fall down and worship aspen - fuel of the future' hype , IMO if its going to replace mainstream mix as a most people fuel of choice they need to get the price down , because paying nearly twice as much per litre to avoid the everso difficult task of mixing 100ml of 2 stroke with 5L of petrol doesnt look like a good use of resourses from where i'm standing.

I love the stuff,& run all my saws & blowers on it running a small company,it is expensive for sure,but works well in my opinion for a few good reasons,its here now,it is definately an improvement to the work environment,(thats a big one for me),I can lay up the 3120 & know she will sparkle when needed,& I dont end up buying chocolate etc when doing the routine pump stop in the morning...Ah bliss!:001_smile:

Cant please everyone but the fact that it is ready mixed is only one of the small advantages running aspen provides.

without trying it I can understand that you cant appreciate the higher cost. but as the guy above said (along with anyone that has tried it) it is worth the extra cost. I'm sure you don't use the cheapest chainsaws to get your job done for example....

I still think that if they guy had known or been told that Aspen 2 goes in this hole and chain oil goes in that hole then he would be a fool to get it mixed up. certainly don't think its a good idea to be using a chainsaw if you think that a chainsaw can run on chain oil, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Aspen or not :laugh1: