Professional Tree Inspection - Norwich

Amelanchier

There is a standard AA/Lantra pro-forma included in the course booklet. It's not related to any proprietry system such as THREATS / STORM / ISA / QTRA - its simply a table that requires the following info...

• Number
  • Species
  • Spread
  • Condition
  • Recommendations
  • Work Priority
  • Re-inspection Interval

Its a standardised pro-forma to allow the examiner to compare the candidates on a level playing field so to speak.

If I remmember rightly, the problem with that pro forma is no where specific to put Name Date Location etc

You could just scrawl accross the top I guess. :thumbdown:

Best to pre pare some of your own prior to going on the course.

• 4 weeks later...

I am doing the PTI in January and i have experience doing tree inspections, but my fungi ID is not the best to be honest - can't be good at everything i suppose! What is the fungi ID like in the test? How much do they expect you you know? I need to learn fast - i got a month or so. Help!! Whats the best book to improve my fubgi id guys?

Also, what are the exams like? I don't know much about the course - my boss just booked me on it!

I am doing the PTI in January and i have experience doing tree inspections, but my fungi ID is not the best to be honest - can't be good at everything i suppose! What is the fungi ID like in the test? How much do they expect you you know? I need to learn fast - i got a month or so. Help!! Whats the best book to improve my fubgi id guys?

Also, what are the exams like? I don't know much about the course - my boss just booked me on it!

you need to know the top 20 on the hit list .

their looks , alive and dead, their strategy for attack and type of decay caused.

Perhaps the best text for the PTI is Lonsdale's- "Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment & Management" in which there is a chapter dedicated to fungi...be aware tho" I would say that once identified as being of relevance to the course...the detail is lacking as it applies to the course requirements and so you will need to research further....I have not done the PTI however so I may be wrong.....

You will benefit from a certain familiarity with Schwarze's seminal work

"Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees". I would recommend this particular text to any, if not every, arborist.

A knowledge of the anatomy of fungi . An understanding of their relevance to tree work and tree hazard evaluation and so it goes without saying, their various methods of decay processes.......I did at one time post the reading list that was recommended for the course......try searching for it maybe.

I have heard differing accounts of how difficult the cert is....People with degrees in ecology find it beyond their capabilities whilst newbie know nowt arbos have said " what a piece of p**s"......I will find out for myself next week!:blushing:

I have heard differing accounts of how difficult the cert is....People with degrees in ecology find it beyond their capabilities whilst newbie know nowt arbos have said " what a piece of p**s"......I will find out for myself next week!:blushing:

Best of luck Tim,

Questions are completely based on the course book, so read it again and again. This is the easier part.

Fungi Id (x4) is open book, so should not cause you to much brain ache.

Hopefuly your specimens will be relatively fresh.

Keep the inspection clear and precise, but do not dally with the basic data recording, try and leave yourself enough time at the end of both Trees, to proscribe clear and relevant specs ( no fractures etc.....:sneaky2:)

Try and remember this is an AA gig, as such veteran tree management is not particularly "de rigeur". Oooooops now thats another thread.

David

Edited by Monkey-D

Excuse the stupid question but -

Looking to do tree insp course next (year), which course is the best to start off with?

Thanx

Suppose it depends on what you intend to do with it.

Also how much base line inspection knowledge you already posses.

Personally wouldn't attempt the PTI without good foundation of Fungi Id, associated decay strategies and hazzard evaluation.