Coming to a county near you?

Crazy Cutter

If you can get a copy of the CLA magazine there's an interesting article on Certainly Wood in the November issue.

Two points i noticed: It is stated that their customer uses considerably less kiln dried wood than green (and seasoned?), in fact a third less volume than green, and their logs are recommended by most of the major UK stove manufacturers. I would like to see the evidence to prove this fact.

Secondly the company is keen to hear from anyone in the area who has timber to sell. Wood is almost double what was a few years ago because CW have created a market for thinnings!?! It is working with Heartwoods in the West Midlands who have obtained funding to help woodland owners. Watch out the West Midlands here goes your cordwood price?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get a copy of the CLA magazine there's an interesting article on Certainly Wood in the November issue.

Two points i noticed: It is stated that their customer uses considerably less kiln dried wood than green (and seasoned?), in fact a third less volume than green, and their logs are recommended by most of the major UK stove manufacturers. I would like to see the evidence to prove this fact.

I assume what they are saying then is that KD logs produce 33% more heat than 'seasoned logs. Assuming seasoned to be 25%-30% MC then that is probably correct assuming the KC logs are 16%.

Some stove manufacturers do include a CW leaflet in their stove info packs that are inside a new stove.

I have previously warned that CW are sharp operators, there is only so much wood around Hereford and hauling it in from further afield will raise their costs. They could always set up a new site somewhere, that would be logical in my book.

A

I assume what they are saying then is that KD logs produce 33% more heat than 'seasoned logs. Assuming seasoned to be 25%-30% MC then that is probably correct assuming the KC logs are 16%.

A

That doesn't have to mean less logs though? I'm aiming my seasoned logs to be sold at 15-20% which should compare with their kiln dried wood.

Aside to the thread i was just in my local printers and there was another tipper in there being signwritten for firewood. At what point and when will the cord shortgages really start to kick in?

That doesn't have to mean less logs though? I'm aiming my seasoned logs to be sold at 15-20% which should compare with their kiln dried wood.

Aside to the thread i was just in my local printers and there was another tipper in there being signwritten for firewood. At what point and when will the cord shortgages really start to kick in?

Well it does to get the same amount of heat into the room, ie 16% MC will produce a lot more heat from a log than 25%MC as less of the energy in the log is used to evaporate the water in the log. So the drier the log the hotter it burns so the more heat is produced.

Personally I am buying cord now for use in winter 12-13. I probably have enough stock to maybe cover into early 13-14. Take it when its available, it certainly wont be going down in price but it is cheaper now than it was during a part of the 1990s so I was reading the other day somewhere.

A

All i was trying to say is that i would consider under 20% to be seasoned whether done in a kiln, barn or outside. People will be put off my seasoned through the benefits? of their kiln dried. To some degree the amount of logs you burn will also depend on the species burn't?

to be hornest iv'e been doing this firewood for 15 years and nobody has ever asked for kd fire wood , the thing is what i can see is that as fire wood is becoming a good investment really big boys are going to take over buy up all the timber . I also have 3 years woth of timber sitting in the yard drying out

Surely its about someone started having a pop at the environmental costs of kiln drying firewood. Surely the tree hugging, own yoghurt knitting end of the market, would see it as an advantage that their fuel has cost as little as possible to produce?

of course Solar Kilns (poly tunnels) are a different kettle of bannanas

Surely its about someone started having a pop at the environmental costs of kiln drying firewood. Surely the tree hugging, own yoghurt knitting end of the market, would see it as an advantage that their fuel has cost as little as possible to produce?

of course Solar Kilns (poly tunnels) are a different kettle of bannanas

Might not be easy to do that if there using the waste sawdust etc from there timber operation to fuel a biomass boiler to generate electricity as there primary product. Using the waste heat from that product to kiln dry timber could be construed as environmentally friendly. Personally I would rather the waste heat be used for heating homes or growing crops but thats a different story