Career in Arboriculture?

MSlack

Hello, I am currently in my last year of employment with the army and have been interested in a career in Arboriculture for a while and tried researching it as much as possible. I was am hoping to do my courses at Kingswood training center and gain CS30 CS31 CS38 CS39 Woodchipper, Stumpgrinder. Then also do my first aid UA1 and UA2 if possible at TKF training.

I am then hoping to get employment in the North West of England. However on looking online at current job vacancies is there any hope on me getting any employment without any prior experience in the industry as every jobs seem to require a minimum of 3 years experience. Any advice or comment will be appreciated thanks.

Matt Slack

isnt this what everyone who leaves the army does and i heard you get everything you need to set up your own business, or maybe thats just a rumour!

But in answer to your question, if you can take a massive drop in salary and are prepared to fill your sarnis with hedge clippings and scrumping off the odd plum tree you get to prune for pudding, welcome. You'll have to start at or near the bottom though, like anything. Honestly you'll make as much money as a gardener without an admin care in the world. But if youre dead into it, arb is much more fun.

Getting those tickets would be great but if you are struggling to get a start somewhere a good tactic wood be to get your chemical spraying / hand held Knapsack ticket.

The big utilities companies are always looking for sprayers come the spring and this could be the opening you need to get into the arb work. :thumbup:

Hi Matt

After 14 yrs in the Army i pursued a career in Arb, i did all my training with Kingswood,which was fantastic. Am now employed at one of the biggest companies in Dorset and run my own small business too. The work is fantastic and i love it. wish id done it years ago, being a soldier can put you head and shoulders above the competition mate, i.e work ethic fitness etc. There are jobs out there you gotta find them and convince them to give you them. But be under no illusion mate this is a hard industry and the work can be relentless at times and the pay aint great either unless you work for yourself.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks alot for everyone's advice. I understand I will be taking a pay cut which I am willing to do to start a new career in something I will enjoy and not afraid of hard work. So looking forward to getting into the industry.

Thanks again

Matt

welcome aboard, its a blast this lark, its as they say tough work, but i kinda like that:thumbup: