New AA event - your views please.

Amelanchier

Which two days would you prefer to attend the new event?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which two days would you prefer to attend the new event?

• Fri 6 and Sat 7 July 2012
    • Sat 7 and Sun 8 July 2012

On the advice of the Arborists Working Group, the AA are planning to hold a new training/CPD/social event next year aimed at the working arborist / tree surgeon. This is not a trade show (The ARB Show which will go ahead as usual 15–16 June 2012 at Cirencester) but an oppourtunity to hear talks, attend workshops, watch demos and meet like minded souls at the bar... This is in the early planning stages at the moment and they would like a bit of feedback on a few things:

• The event will be two days long with camping on site - which days would you prefer; Fri 6 and Sat 7 July 2012 or Sat 7 and Sun 8 July 2012? I've added a Poll to make answering this easier.

• What topics are of interest for talks / demos? New research? working to the new 3998? Bats? Fungi? Business issues? Highway working? Legislation? All suggestions welcomed.

• The intended location is in South Yorkshire but at the moment there is no confirmed location. Does anyone have the perfect site? Accessible level ground at least big enough for a marquee and overnight camping, decent trees to demo in and preferably do stuff to.

If it is a success the plan is to may move to other parts of the country in future years.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea, this type of thing was also discussed at the AA Northern AGM i went to the other week.

Personally the sat/sun combo would be better but thats just me and i would also like to delve more into the research side of things which you don't normally ever see at normal ARB shows!

Things like what we get to learn about attending paid for AA seminars, but for everybody:thumbup:

I also like the rigging and climbing demonstrations and feel there should be a "have a go area" or bring your own stuff and try out type climbing area and maybe a little friendly competition:lol:

If it goes ahead, count me in:biggrin:

Sat/Sun would be good as it would involve a lot more of the operatives, not just the owners. The idea is great as I know how valuable it is to share ideas, techniques, etc. Short seminars with Q&A sessions are good too.

Yorkshire is a long way up, but we're a big(ish) island and Cirencester is a long way down for some. With enough planning we could make a w/e of it.

Hi Tony, just to give a bump, do not mean to intrude.

To add to Tony's introduction of this event, this event has been brought about by the demand for northern arboricultural events, an additional question that needs answering is, does it matter if there are seminars running parrallel to each other?

When I attended the ICF conference there were parrallel sessions and I personally found this annoying, the only benefit of it is, is that if you have no interest what so ever of a particular subject you can go to another, alternatively, if there is to be practical demonstrations taking place to; of some sort, you could always nip along and view and chin wag with like minded people.

If the AA are to continue to try and put on events nationwide then they will need your support and communication for events to be held locally.

This event/idea has been welcomed with open arms by the AA, and they want to put it on for us, with your interaction and feedback; of topics for discussion, how you think this event would be favourable to your sector of arboriculture or if you know of a cracking venue, then let them know through this thread.

Hamadryad, what type of research are we talking about, the more direct the responses can be the easier it will make the AA's job of sourcing the right people to talk about the topics.

Get involved with this one folks, and make it an event to remember!