What killed this beach

scbk

Meripilus giganteus for sure. I wouldn't say it killed it but would have stressed it looking at the wood.

Meripilus spreads through spores. Like other fungi. It will land on a wound of a tree and then start to decay its roots. Can be some bad consequences however trees can live with merip for a while before anything significant happens

Meripilus giganteus for sure. I wouldn't say it killed it but would have stressed it looking at the wood.

Meripilus spreads through spores. Like other fungi. It will land on a wound of a tree and then start to decay its roots. Can be some bad consequences however trees can live with merip for a while before anything significant happens

I would.

Because Meripilus can be white rotting old dysfunctional dead roots, or switching to an invasive soft rot mode, even switching to degrade pectin (the natural adhesive)

A biotrophic parasite.

Except in the case of Beech trees! The tree is still alive but, viewed by the human eye, the Merip works in advance of the crown die back.

Therefore, the root buttresses have decayed to a point that the 'healthy looking tree' falls over.

I've seen a huge Beech with reasonble sized fruiting bodies, fall over a main road on a calm sunny afternoon.

I also know of a huge Beech with knee high fruit bodies 60% around the stem all over the ground and the tree is still standing. The owner said "It's covered in leaves! Some tree expert!" :laugh1:

Thanks for the info everyone :thumbup1:

The tree was felled because it was right next to a main road.

Last year (before I started there), a few hundred yards further down, another beech came down accross the road. Luckily the only damage was to the stone wall

A fair chunk of that tree still remains, I've made a start on cutting it up for firewood. I assume they cut most of it up then used something like a tractor with loader to lift the trunk out the way. I think it's about a metre thick at what would've been chest height

24102011134x.jpg