Fir Zip-line

RC0

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff Reg, thats the best explanation I have heard as too why it works :thumbup1:

I'm still struggling to understand why it makes a difference though??

The two surfaces meet which ever way up the cut is, the energy will be the same in both cuts, I'm just trying to work out why which surface is on the moving piece makes a difference??

I will have to give it a try.

Thanks for taking the time :001_smile:

Dave

We are agreed then that one surface extends past the other....and one surface is static, the other is dynamic. Switch the cut around and the reaction will be different....because one part is just a stump while the rest is the tree-top.

If you cut put a face in the top centre of a fallen log which was lying under compression then there would be no differet reaction which ever way you cut the face. A standing tree or top are obviously totally unequal entities either side of the face....unlike the fallen log. cheers

great stuff Reg...:thumbup1:

i was always under the assumption that the both cuts leave the tree at the same angle, given they are the same degree in angle, and to change the force of the dynamic piece of timber (in this case) then you would have to change the degree of the gob......

i can understand what you are saying Reg, but to some who never use this cut on a large scale (including me) would never had noticed the change in force's and the impact it has on the dynamic branch/stem leaving the base......

i guess its something we could all play with and come back with some kind of report on it......see what different views we get....

just a thought....

adam.

great stuff Reg...:thumbup1:

i was always under the assumption that the both cuts leave the tree at the same angle, given they are the same degree in angle, and to change the force of the dynamic piece of timber (in this case) then you would have to change the degree of the gob......

i can understand what you are saying Reg, but to some who never use this cut on a large scale (including me) would never had noticed the change in force's and the impact it has on the dynamic branch/stem leaving the base......

i guess its something we could all play with and come back with some kind of report on it......see what different views we get....

just a thought....

adam.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than what I have already Adam:biggrin: Its all there in the previous posts....the initial face opening and closing is the same, but what happens after that differs depending on whether the horizontal (shorter plane) is on top or underneath. The moving part is only and always above the face though....hence the dynamics are different between the two techniques. Tell me you follow Adam:thumbup1:

Try it on conifers, lombardy's, sycamore and ash saplings....proportionately, sender, straight trees with enough top weight to break the hinge. The bigger the tree the more noticeble the effect.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than what I have already Adam:biggrin: Its all there in the previous posts....the initial face opening and closing is the same, but what happens after that differs depending on whether the horizontal (shorter plane) is on top or underneath. The moving part is only and always above the face though....hence the dynamics are different between the two techniques. Tell me you follow Adam:thumbup1:

Try it on conifers, lombardy's, sycamore and ash saplings....proportionately, sender, straight trees with enough top weight to break the hinge. The bigger the tree the more noticeble the effect.

:biggrin: thanks Reg,

i do follow and like you say to notice it it has to be done rather than explained....

i have got some lombarys coming up so will give it a whirl then.....

i'll get some video of me doing it :blushing:

Adam

Dave

We are agreed then that one surface extends past the other....and one surface is static, the other is dynamic. Switch the cut around and the reaction will be different....because one part is just a stump while the rest is the tree-top.

If you cut put a face in the top centre of a fallen log which was lying under compression then there would be no differet reaction which ever way you cut the face. A standing tree or top are obviously totally unequal entities either side of the face....unlike the fallen log. cheers

Thanks Reg :thumbup1:

We don't have to understand why, I will just try it!

haven't a clue how my phone works but it doesn't stop me using it:)

Not my way mate.

I like to have an understanding what I'm doing and why it works.

Every day I see people at the lights or junctions, holding their car on the clutch, I presume they don't understand how a clutch works and that they are taking 1000's of miles of wear off their clutch by slipping it.

Thanks Reg :thumbup1:

My pleasure Dave.

I'll be offline now for the rest of the week though, got to attend the tree-expo on the east coast of the US....been snowing heavy there.

I went out on Sunday to hoping to buy some new clothes to show up in....its been a while.

Boy I must be just well out of touch nowdays. Nothing made any sense to me at all, and whatever I tried on just look wrong....you know you're past it when that happens, right. I was going to get a hair-cut also tomorrow, but am now wondering that there's any point in that either!