Picus sonic Tomograph

Xerxses

Tom,

Great documentation of the problems in diagnosing the white rot with selective delignification of Ganoderma cf. australe in Q. rubra (and Tilia, Populus, Salix) with tomography as I pointed out before.

And were any FB's present, what did they look like, just big perennial brackets or (also) panic fruiting ? In/on Q. rubra, IME it's close to 100 % G. australe.

Gerrit,

only one small fruiting body and body language suggesting (at least some) decay. The tree condition was very bad, with Fomes fomentarius in the crown.

IMGP3036.jpg.f8f38d5019452a00a32c6f69e9a987cc.jpg

IMGP3133.jpg.299280bb13bcd2d65d5e886a061d6e0d.jpg

IMGP3127.jpg.31ac9fc9c96143ef8fbdfb14a4de7526.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only one small fruiting body and body language suggesting (at least some) decay. The tree condition was very bad,

2. with Fomes fomentarius in the crown.

1. This looks like panic fruiting by the biotrophic parasitic G. australe.

2. Are you sure it was not Phellinus robustus at this height ?

1. This looks like panic fruiting by the biotrophic parasitic G. australe.

2. Are you sure it was not Phellinus robustus at this height ?

im with gerrit on the panic australe, you can see the fruits trying to form all up the butress division.

Didn't have the knowledge about panic fruiting and biotrophic/necrotrophic parasites back then, but now that you mention it, it sure fits :thumbup: Thanks for the insights, guys!

About the Phellinus robustus, I don't have any pics of the fruiting bodies, only of a broken stump. Maybe the rot can tell you more. The picture of what I tought to be geotropy in Fomes comes from an American oak only meters away and in a similar state. Might be the same fungus...

DSC_0326.jpg.a8cfcc58ed2ad49841c3ae6b980eb216.jpg

IMGP3167.jpg.f6cf6f06df709ed0cd20e0b4edd54a9d.jpg

1. Maybe the rot can tell you more.

2. The picture of what I thought to be geotropy in Fomes comes from an American oak only meters away and in a similar state. Might be the same fungus...

Tom,

1. Because of the absence of mycelial felts, which are indicative for Fomes, no, as both Phellinus and Fomes are simultaneous white rotters.

2. Might be, might not be. Anyway, this definitely is Fomes fomentarius.

I am unsure if you 'overseas' chaps can get on to BBC i-player but the Autumnwatch programme n Friday showed the results of the use of PICUS before and after a Beech with Ganoderma sp was felled. Interesting clip!

No its jammed for us!:thumbdown: Any other ways of passing it on?

Cheers!:thumbup: