Review of pole saw/trimmer harness

Simonsnr

So, I bought one.

I saw these 'Easy-lift Harness' at the APF show this year. I didn't pay much attention apart from having a bit of a giggle about it.

Well since then I just got a job of trimming a 1km (said in other post it was Half by mistake) conifer hedge. So thats 2km of 10' sides to trim and a km of top (one years growth). Major arm and shoulder work, so remembering the harness at the APF, thought I'd do a little research, and then decided to buy.

So, its NOT cheap at £370 inc VAT and postage from http://www.overton-uk.co.uk, but added extra money on the job to cover it, so it's not really an issue.

Photo-0027.jpg

First thoughts out of the packet? Very light, and well made (glad to say)

Photo-0029.jpg

Instructions aren't great, but easy to assemble. Its comfortable, and takes most of the weight of my trimmer easily (not sure I'd recommend using it one handed, but the pic shows how light it makes it.

Photo-0032.jpg

It doesn't fold up particularly small, the body harness is one whole piece, with the bottom part of the pole fixed to it. The pin in the above pic is easily removed, and allows top section to fold.

Photo-0033.jpg

The top two parts of the pole are removable from the bottom part via a nut and bolt (A) (why they didn't use a wing nut I don't know) NO IDEA what the pins (B) are for?

You can adjust the hight of the machine by adjusting the sliding metal ring on the rope. Easy to do with the machine attached just by pulling the arm down, holding it with one hand, and sliding the ring back and forth. (Pic in post bellow)

IS IT PRACTICAL apart from the price? Seems great for doing sides, allowing you to reach heights far higher than you normally would, with VERY LITTLE effort indeed. Not sure if its quite as practical for horizontal cutting as you don't get much of a reach, but as much as you would without the harness with far less effort, so not bad.

(I haven't had a go yet, but will be trying it out on Monday on a hedging job.)

So thats 2km of 10' sides to trim and a km of top (one years growth). Major arm and shoulder work,

Yep I can feel my arm and shoulder aching now :sad: (Although literally 10 secs with a hedgetrimmer causes me major shoulder pain)

Youre a better man than me for taking that job on. :thumbup1:

Gerry Anderson who created Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet etc, once said that F A B didn't stand for anything, however in Captain Scarlet they do say S I G which I know stands for Spectrum Is Green.

Pointless and not particularly relevant, but there you go (was worried you may be staying awake at night thinking about this !).

Hope this helps !

Well since then I just got a job of trimming a 1km (said in other post it was Half by mistake) conifer hedge. So thats 2km of 10' sides to trim and a km of top (one years growth). Major arm and shoulder work, so remembering the harness at the APF, thought I'd do a little research, and then decided to buy.

Using pole hedge cutters for a job that size, my main concern would be the vibration. I'm sure the harness will help as you will not need to grip the pole as hard, but you will still be exposed to a great deal of vibration.

Will you be doing all the cutting or will you alternate with another cutter?

Shyhuck: You are SO right about the vibration! I'm hoping the harness will absorb some of it, but not sure how bad it will be. Will just have to see on the first day. There's no stipulation on how quick the job needs to be finished as the gardens are closed to the public till spring, so if mi fingers start dropping off, i'll take a few days break.

Mesterh: No how you feel about hedge trimmers, thus the reason for buying the gay harness!

MasterBlaster: Heavy? Far from it! Probably half the weight of a large rucksack. Its all ally.

Bob: Why 'ashamed'? Nout wrong with making your life easier. Been doing this game for over 17 years now, and have learn't the hard way that no one gives you a medal for breaking your back.