fungi on trees an arborists' field guide

VEG

Thanks for the reply fella !:thumbup1:

Honestly, I dont mean to be so "down" on it ! So much of what we read in the texts available is increasingly being shown to be either wrong, or as a result of the constant "flux" of the associations currently, not complete/ Is it sensible to take it as anything more than a "snapshot' - a kinda timeframe related statement? So much seems to surprise; host associations, knowledge (certainties) about strategy, climate related migrations and so on !

Im all for it David- I'll seek out a look at the text when I next get the opportunity ! :001_smile:

I guess it's a tool Tim, one that has to be used with the others at hand.

I don't think (as yet) there will be a definitive media that can be delivered in a one off product. Due in part to the very obsticals that you refer to.

I think if we all keep on talking, listening, studying, interacting & cooperating together, then at least we (cross-Arb industry) are on the right track :001_smile:

One of the remits was to try & deliver a series of shots (studio-R Phillips & in situ-others) at various stages of developement & desication, to aid an overall identification during different stages of a fruitbodies lifespan. To be honest, in the time frame for prep & publication, that was never going to be completely acheivable. Possibly something for the next edition perhaps.

David,

After you sent me a copy, I twice offered the authors to review the publication, if necessary correct the text and to add information (f.i. on Oudemansiella mucida) and literature (f.i. Manual on Wood Decays in Trees, Weber & Mattheck) on the wood decay strategies of some of the macrofungi depicted (f.i. Fistulina hepatica; identification and different strategies of Ganoderma australe and G. lipsiense) or excluded from the text (f.i. Armillaria ostoyae; A. lutea) and on other tree hosts of bracket fungi (f.i. Inonotus hispidus : Ulmus; I. cuticularis : Acer) than listed.

I also offered to add my photo's of the different types of wood rot, photo's of Armillaria rhizomorphs and photo's of excluded species (f.i. Fomitopsis pinicola; Phellinus robustus; Chalara fraxinea) to the next edition.

David,

After you sent me a copy, I twice offered the authors to review the publication, if necessary correct the text and to add information (f.i. on Oudemansiella mucida) and literature (f.i. Manual on Wood Decays in Trees, Weber & Mattheck) on the wood decay strategies of some of the macrofungi depicted (f.i. Fistulina hepatica; identification and different strategies of Ganoderma australe and G. lipsiense) or excluded from the text (f.i. Armillaria ostoyae; A. lutea) and on other tree hosts of bracket fungi (f.i. Inonotus hispidus : Ulmus; I. cuticularis : Acer) than listed.

I also offered to add my photo's of the different types of wood rot, photo's of Armillaria rhizomorphs and photo's of excluded species (f.i. Fomitopsis pinicola; Phellinus robustus; Chalara fraxinea) to the next edition.

I hope they were suitably receptive to the offers of input Gerrit ! Tim

Tim.

Until now, no.

Gerrit, I can not speak for Guy Watson (not entirely sure if he's a regular member here), nor indeed the Arboricultural Association, but I would imagine that your kind offer has been gratefully received & along with a good number of other ongoing & current research & information projects, the second edition of the 'Fungi field guide' will I'm sure be tackled in due course.

regards

David :001_smile:

David,

I would think that your offer and contribution will be gratefully received, if it wasn't, then there is definitely something up, with regard to the info on G lipsiense and australe I would think this above all would be vital for inclusion.

• 1 year later...